Thread: [SOLVED] Application Integration

Beans

[SOLVED] Application Integration

I use 8.04 and have been using for a few months but I won't fully convert for one reason: There is no application integration. I understand that multiple applications come from different places but am I to believe that basic programs can work together to add in some integration. Of course I'm not talking about openoffice. If I'm mistaken then please let me know in a kind manner. I just want some graphic programs that replace adobe but work together.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Application Integration

Can you elaborate a little more, I am not sure what you are trying to say. If you have any examples of something that works the way you want Ubuntu to work and what you have tried to do they would be helpful.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough and for not responding for a while. What I was saying is that the reason apple, adobe, autodesk are successful is one reason and it isn't because they all start with a's. Its because the consumer is looking for applications that can run and integrate with each other. So if I'm doing stuff in illustrator I can easy go into photoshop and then move to acrobat pro with little to no down time. I would like to be able to use applications like this in ubuntu but there is no set method for how an application interface is set up. They are all set up differently and they don't mirror each other. Just because you have different applications doesn't mean you need to have them all look and interface differently. If that doesn't make sense then please look at photoshop then illustrator then any other adobe program or scroll around on a mac and you'll see that there is one set method for how all the applications interface with the consumer.

Beans
    Hidden!

That is Mac's niche, because all development has to go though one developer, they can all look and feel the same. You are not going to get this from Linux because everyone and their mother can make applications and post them online. While this is true for all OS's, it is a bigger thing in Linux because that is the main source of applications. I think this is where you are going to have to choose, put up with different ways to do things in each program, or not use Linux.

I think once you use Linux for a while, you will find that the problem is not as big as you think it is. Most of the popular applications are pretty intuitive, even if they are different.
    Registered Linux User: 453202 Registered Ubuntu User:17339
    WARNING: Don't take code or candy from strangers.

Beans

Well yeah but its not just a mac niche (windows also). Mac has a developer download so that all their programs will follow suit even though they are from multiple developers (just like linux). I'm sure there is something like this for windows too but I'm not asking that all applications follow the same style just some that are commonly used together.

Not complaining about the programs (very appreciative of a few of them) and I agree that some have a very intuitive interface but asking for a common setup between commonly used apps. If a lot of people are using gimp and a web program side by side then use one interface style between the two. Or better yet market your product by having the same style interface as another thus being able to use both easily. Just some thoughts I appreciate your replies and you're right I'll just get use to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

What programs are you trying to use together? Are you trying to use GIMP and Firefox? If you are, I do not see why. If there are two pieces of software written by the same person or team and they are meant to work together, then I am sure they will have similar interfaces (ie Firefox and Thunderbird) but you can not expect people to all program the same way. If they did we would have very few programs and they would be borring.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Beans

No thats not what I'm saying. Gimp and Firefox??? What? that doesn't even make sense because ones a browser and ones an editor. I'm only talking about editors. Take a look at openoffice, or mozilla (as you pointed out) and you'll see that they have application integration and I understand that people program different but couldn't there be a developer package that sets a standard interface that they have an option to use? and I doubt that giving people an option/basis would make for boring applications because it is just a template and not a rule. It would probably make for more apps. (I go on a rant and they probably already have this stuff)

I'm not going to pretend that I know how to program because I don't. I know about web, and design thats as far as it goes and I know I've used templates to accomplish some things in these fields and have benefited from them.