Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Acer Aspire 8920G

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 8920G

Don't know if its just something I did wrong, but with:

options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire

Headphone mute didn't work, but I have it working after replacing that line with:

alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto

Beans

I am having the same problem, but with a 6930

I finally got the subwooffer working by following the steps at the beginning, but the headphones no longer worked (as if I never plugged them in).
    I undid everything, but the headphones were still dead.
    I then installed the linuxant driver (mentioned earlier) and now the headphones work as well (but don't turn off the main speakers).
    Then I tried what the previous poster did and changed my settings to:
    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
    options snd-hda-intel model=auto
    No subwoofer
    So I changed auto back to default (leaving the alias there) and now I have AMAZING sound (better than previous /w subwooffer), but alas, the headphones don't turn off the main speakers (though I do get sound out of them).

I feel like I'm so close I can TASTE it, I just need the headphones to turn off the main speakers. I can manually mute "front" (speakers) and "side" (subwoofer) and use the headphones, but that's a pain the butt.

Note: in the mixer, "surround" seems to be the headphones

If someone knows of a way to check if something is muted (through software) I could write a script to "fake" the headphone insertion. That would be a nice temporary fix, but I would like to have it automatic when the headphones are inserted.

Thanks for getting my subwooffer working (amazing sound by the way).
    Any help with the headphones would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

I reported over in this thread that the Alsa rebuild script doesn't seem to work for kernel version 2.6.28-12. I only tried it once, so the results aren't conclusive.

Has anyone looked into whether Ubuntu has a mechanism for incorporating the other tweaks mentioned in this thread into the distribution, so future users of this hardware don't have to track down this thread and apply the changes themselves?

I'm not aware of Ubuntu having machine specific packages, though maybe the best solution is getting the Alsa drivers, which already incorporate hardware detection, to do the right thing and eliminate the need for the external tweaks. Has anyone filed a bug with the Alsa project to get that to happen?

As for the Alsa driver itself, can anyone explain why, if upgrading the version of Alsa shipped with 8.10 (1.0.16 I think) to 1.0.18 via the source build script would fix things, then why don't the 9.04 kernels that come with 1.0.18 work "out of the box?" I was surprised to see that building Alsa from source was still necessary. Are there significant compile time options set differently by the build script compared to the stock Ubuntu build? (I'd like to understand this and supply feedback to the Ubuntu devs so I can eventually migrate back to using the stock builds.)

-Tom

Beans

I have an Acer 8920G with 2 HDDs and BIOS version 1.15, and it works out of the box with Ubuntu Linux 9.10. So these days, Acer 8920G is OK for Ubuntu Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cppdeveloper View Post
    ...it works out of the box with Ubuntu Linux 9.10.
    How about the suspend/hybernate features? Does theg display wake up after restart now?

How about the Euro and $ keys (near the arrows)? Do they still not generates scan code?

As of 9.10 it finally seem no longer necessary to build the ALSA driver to get sound. (Of course my config files still have a few setting tweaks put in place in the 8.10 era, so I can prove a fresh install would work.)

-Tom

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345