Thread: Installing additional Software | Problems

Beans

Installing additional Software | Problems

Hi all I'm very new to this and I'm having trouble installing software.I start of in the terminal and get up to moving the the file from desktop.I then change cd and try the sudo apt-get install and this is what it says.

Code:
    janny@janny:~$ cd Desktop
    janny@janny:~/Desktop$ dir
    crossword-0.1.0.tar.gz  gtz-0.9.1-20020521-win32.zip
    gtz                     interLOGIC-linux-i386.tar.gz
    janny@janny:~/Desktop$ mv -f ~/Desktop/gtz ~/Gtz
    janny@janny:~/Desktop$ cd ~/Gtz
    janny@janny:~/Gtz$ dir
    AUTHORS  gtz.exe    libgdk-0.dll       libgmodule-2.0-0.dll  libintl-1.dll
    COPYING  iconv.dll  libglib-2.0-0.dll  libgtk-0.dll          README
    janny@janny:~/Gtz$ su
    Password:
    root@janny:/home/janny/Gtz# sudo apt-get install gtz
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Couldn't find package gtz
    root@janny:/home/janny/Gtz#

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong can someone please point me in the right direction.Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Installing additional Software | Problems

It appears that the gtz file is a Windows .exe file, which will not install on a Linux system. Are you using Wine?

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sweetaussie View Post
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong can someone please point me in the right direction.Thanks in advance.
    I snipped your report to save space but it was a very clear and concise one.

The only files you can install end in .deb. Yours didn't - so you can't!

Use the package manager, synaptic. Familiarise yourself with it. It is your best friend.
    Brian.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yeah, that's definitely a Windows executable. Try with Wine, or perhaps Mono if the program is coded in C#.

Also, apt-get is _only_ for installing programs from repositories. It has nothing to do with stuff you download to your machine and then install manually.

Manually insyalling depends on what kind of package you downloaded. .deb packages can be installed either by simply clicking on them, or with the "sudo dpkg -i packagename"-command. .rpm's can be converted do .dpkg with "alien" and then installed. These ways will register the package with ubuntu's package management so they can be removed using dpkg, apt-get, aptitude or Synaptic or any other package management tool.

Other than those, all packages are simply compressed archives that can contain pretty much anything from source code to ready-to-use binary executables. (just like a .zip or a .rar). When the software is distributed this way your only choise is to extract it and take a look what's inside, you usually find a README or INSTALL file that tells you how it should be installed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    It appears that the gtz file is a Windows .exe file, which will not install on a Linux system. Are you using Wine?
    Thanks for your quick response. I do apologize for not being better at this. I love tinkering, but sometimes get stuck, like this time.

This is where I got this file from, I was under the impression that it would work on Linux. How can I tell if it will, or will not?
    http://www.linux.org/apps/AppId_5734.html

HTML Code:
    Gyahtzee is a gnomified version of yahtzee. It is based on a curses version released by Orest Zborowski in 1992.

Homepage 	http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/7731/gyahtzee.html
    Download 	http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/7731/gyahtzee-980624.tgz
    Author 	Not Shown <sdh_AT_po_DOT_cwru.E.D.U>
    Version 	snapshot
    Licence 	GPL
    Source 	Yes
    Environment 	Gnome
    Status 	Development
    Also, what is wine?

Sorry.

Thanks again. Hope to hear from you again on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

From visiting the link, and looking at what you posted, the program that I think you want is
    gyahtzee-980624.tgz which is definitely not what you show in your initial post. Thus, I am confused a bit.

EDIT: Wine is an application that allows some Windows programs to be run in Linux.
    Last edited by avtolle; July 7th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Add bit about Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

wine is an api stack built for unix systems so that windows executables can run in linux. It is not perfect with windows api yet so not all windows applications run but most can run.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    From visiting the link, and looking at what you posted, the program that I think you want is
    gyahtzee-980624.tgz which is definitely not what you show in your initial post. Thus, I am confused a bit.

EDIT: Wine is an application that allows some Windows programs to be run in Linux.
    YES you was right so i went and downloaded the right one and the same thing happens.So are all these programs on this site windows or linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

YES you was right so i went and downloaded the right one and the same thing happens.So are all these programs on this site windows or linux?
    Well, it looks like it is for Linux. That would mean that it's a C# app and you can run it natively in Linux with Mono (C#/Mono apps often come as .exe files even for Linux systems).

Check the readme file for better instructions, but generally running "mono filename" should work.

edit: I downloaded the software and the correct package doesn't have .exe file but source code instead.. You'll need to follow the instruction in the INSTALL file to compile it. But are you sure that this program isn't in Ubuntu's repositories? In that case you shouldn't be installing it by hand anyway..
    Last edited by mcduck; July 7th, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

brian_p is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Did the file you downloaded end in .tgz? If it did it is source code. It is used to build (that is, make) a program which will work on Linux. Building programs can be easy, hard or very hard. How much effort you want to put into it may depend on how desperately you need the program.
    Brian.