Thread: [SOLVED] Samba setup for a newbie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[SOLVED] Samba setup for a newbie

Hi all,

I just built my first pc from scratch (Yay) and installed Ubuntu server 8.04. I want to setup up samba file sharing to serve a network share for my windows clients. I think I have the networking up and running because I can ping and SSH the server from my windows machine. I can also see the server in my network list on my windows machine. I have tried to configure the smb.conf file but now I can't open the server in Windows Explorer. My current file is:

[global]
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
    wins support = yes
    dns proxy = no
    ; name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

interfaces = localhost eth0
    bind interfaces only = true

log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 1000
    ; syslog only = no
    syslog = 0
    panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

security = user
    encrypt passwords = no
    passdb backend = tdbsam
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    ; guest account = nobody
    invalid users = root
    unix password sync = yes
    passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
    passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
    pam password change = yes
    map to guest = bad user
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    ; idmap uid = 10000-20000
    ; idmap gid = 10000-20000
    ; template shell = /bin/bash
    ; winbind enum groups = yes
    ; winbind enum users = yes
    ; usershare max shares = 100
    usershare allow guests = no

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = yes
    read only = no
    create mask = 0700
    directory mask = 0700
    valid users = %S

;[printers]
    ; comment = All Printers
    ; browseable = no
    ; path = /var/spool/samba
    ; printable = yes
    ; guest ok = no
    ; read only = yes
    ; create mask = 0700

;[print$]
    ; comment = Printer Drivers
    ; path = /var/lib/samba/printers
    ; browseable = yes
    ; read only = yes
    ; guest ok = no
    ; write list = root, @ntadmin

[cdrom]
    comment = Samba server's CD-ROM
    read only = yes
    locking = no
    path = /cdrom
    guest ok = yes
    preexec = /bin/mount /cdrom
    postexec = /bin/umount /cdrom
    I want to have home directories for each windows user so I will create users on Ubuntu for each Windows user. Currently I just have the one test user loaded. I also want a common shared folder accessible to any user. Can anyone help me with this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Samba setup for a newbie

Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Hi all,

I just built my first pc from scratch (Yay) and installed Ubuntu server 8.04. I want to setup up samba file sharing to serve a network share for my windows clients. I think I have the networking up and running because I can ping and SSH the server from my windows machine. I can also see the server in my network list on my windows machine. I have tried to configure the smb.conf file but now I can't open the server in Windows Explorer. My current file is:

I want to have home directories for each windows user so I will create users on Ubuntu for each Windows user. Currently I just have the one test user loaded. I also want a common shared folder accessible to any user. Can anyone help me with this?
    There are a couple of ways to do this. You can create a generic user and then map samba users to that user. I prefer creating one account for each user, putting them into something like a "samba_share1_group", and giving that folder/folders group rwx privs. The biggest problem I have had with samba is making sure that you run sudo smbpasswd for each user.

If you do this the multiple user way, then start by creating a group; creating, sharing out, protections the folder(s) in question; create an actual user; run smbpasswd; and seeing if you can log in.
    cmn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I like to use Swat to help me configure Samba. It makes the more complicated setups especially easy. Although I've found you need to have the root user enabled for it to work best, and allow local connections to it only, it's still a very handy tool.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Swat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for your help. Funnily enough I had come to the same conclusions as you have and managed to get it to work! I installed SWAT and got it configured correctly as just using apt-get doesn't install all the packages and set the settings required. Its a great way to manage SAMBA.

I also came across the need to add each Windows User using smbpasswd and that was the main issue surrounding why I wasn't seeing the shares come up. It was working correctly just SAMBA couldn't authenticate my Windows client! Now I just need to configure it all the way I want it.

Cheers