Thread: resolv.conf file missing in /etc folder

Beans

resolv.conf file missing in /etc folder

i m running nmap on my ubuntu box it requires resolv.conf file to be properly configured.

but in my box the said file is missing. I tried creating one on my own but did not allow to do so even after i used sudo.
    is there any way to get rid of this problem.

Beans

Re: resolv.conf file missing in /etc folder

Quote Originally Posted by Neminath View Post
    i m running nmap on my ubuntu box it requires resolv.conf file to be properly configured.

but in my box the said file is missing. I tried creating one on my own but did not allow to do so even after i used sudo.
    is there any way to get rid of this problem.
    I'm not sure if creating a blank resolv.conf file could do the trick because this file contains your nameserver (DNS). But, just try.

Code:
    sudo touch /etc/resolv.conf
    then try to re-run your nmap application.

EDIT: Or try to add your router's IP address to to file.

i.e:

nameserver your_router_IP_Address
    Last edited by iaculallad; July 7th, 2008 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added more info
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Re: resolv.conf file missing in /etc folder

system>admin>network>DNS tab> put your router and nameservers there and close.That should generate resolv.conf file.