Thread: Ubuntu Brainstorm is a mess

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a mess

Right now, the Gutsy Gibbon idea pool archive has 1006 threads in it.

The active Ubuntu idea pool subforum currently has 840 threads in it.

Ubuntu Brainstorm, on the other hand, has 10409 ideas.

It's a mess.

I'm pretty good at keeping up with things. I've tried to vote as much as I can, but I can't sift through all 10409. How do the developers manage? Most of the Up and Down votes don't really mean anything anyway, seeing as you can't meaningfully vote for 10409 ideas.

I guess people just look at what's popular for today and then vote...?

How do you handle Brainstorm? Or do you? I give up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu Brainstorm is a mess

You don't have to do it alone. Get a team to help.
    [AMD AthlonX2 4000,Emaxx MCP61S-AVL,2GB Geil,7300GT 512MB,160GB]
    [Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965,Core2 P7350 2.0GHz,4GB RAM,200GB HDD]
    [Sony Vaio VGN-CR35G,Core2 T8100 2.10GHz,2GB RAM,200GB HDD]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i visit it once or twice a week, but i really stay up to date with the better ideas thanks to this blog:

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/0...17-themestorm/

he list them weekly, no. 17 now
    Last edited by madjr; July 7th, 2008 at 06:52 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

while I have nothing against ubuntu brainstorm, since its inception, I didn't raise a vote not even on a single idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Right now, the Gutsy Gibbon idea pool archive has 1006 threads in it.

The active Ubuntu idea pool subforum currently has 840 threads in it.

Ubuntu Brainstorm, on the other hand, has 10409 ideas.

It's a mess.

I'm pretty good at keeping up with things. I've tried to vote as much as I can, but I can't sift through all 10409. How do the developers manage? Most of the Up and Down votes don't really mean anything anyway, seeing as you can't meaningfully vote for 10409 ideas.

I guess people just look at what's popular for today and then vote...?

How do you handle Brainstorm? Or do you? I give up.
    Simple answer: I don't.

I too find it a huge mess to find anything, and because of this I just stopped going to it. I still am checking the Ubuntu Idea Pool a lot, but the way Ubuntu brainstorm was implemented was horrible.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I wouldn't call the Ubuntu brainstorm a mess. Working with a large community such as Ubuntu that aims to get larger and larger does generate a number of ideas and ten thousand or a hundred thousand may not be large enough. Ideas that grab the attention or approval of a significant number or the right people may find their way to implementation. A person with a bad idea or poor understanding may find his idea shot down and may learn to change her/his thinking or find better ways of advocating the idea (my own 3 bad ideas have been ruthlessly disapproved).
    Of course there is scope for improving the way the brainstorming pages work and people with the right skills will eventually get around to making the improvements. If someone thinks that the brainstorm pages are "horrible" I am sure they can exercise their brains a bit more to spell out how that can be changed. If I have suggestion on how it can be improved, I would proceed to add my idea to the page itself or make a forum post.Yes my idea may get drowned or disapproved by people who think differently. If I still feel strongly about my idea, I would present it better, reword it,revise it or make a stronger case for it on the same brainstorm pages or even post on this forum. If my idea still does not get the attention it deserves, I might try to gather like minded people and implement the idea myself. Efforts such as "Brilliant Brainstorms" would also evolve out of indidividual efforts if such individuals do not find a sane way of expressing their opinions on the larger democratic forum. Nothing wrong with these "forks" and if more people like this format, more people would start accessing these pages outside the ubuntu.com domain.
    Last edited by gunashekar; July 7th, 2008 at 07:38 AM.
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

maybe if they added more features a la "Digg" it would work a bit better.

there are a good amount of brainstorms aiming at improving brainstorm
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I think it's biggest problem is it's lack of structure, I try and look in weekly - but I do leave quite quickly, which is a shame.

True - you can search for ideas in particular sections, but it would be better to not have to - it's not a very quick search either

But I would have to agree that it is as it stands a mess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    I think it's biggest problem is it's lack of structure, I try and look in weekly - but I do leave quite quickly, which is a shame.

True - you can search for ideas in particular sections, but it would be better to not have to - it's not a very quick search either

But I would have to agree that it is as it stands a mess.
    Any ideas how it can be structured better? .
    Have you tried searching the ideas with keywords of topics you may be interested in?
    Gunashekar
    "where knowledge is free"
    Humanity Networks
    Chennai India