Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu Brainstorm is a mess

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Good ideas already presented:

a) get a team to help
    b) structure the website better so its easier to browse

My idea is to have a random area that anybody can post ideas to, and the rest of the areas (main categories) require approval by the chosen team. That way, no idea is lost, but the really good ideas get precedence. Easier management is a given as the main categories will not be as big.
    Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly here, KingTermite.

So, in other words, each category would have a team assigned to it, and people would post random brainstorms to appropriate categories, and the team would act as a filter so that the general public would be allowed to vote on only ideas that are really good (well-formulated, feasible, not duplicates).

If that's what you're proposing, I'm all for it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post

So, in other words, each category would have a team assigned to it, and people would post random brainstorms to appropriate categories, and the team would act as a filter so that the general public would be allowed to vote on only ideas that are really good (well-formulated, feasible, not duplicates).

This is a good idea.

What if the ideas are implemented similar to the way threads are in this forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think part of the problem is that people confuse bug reports with ideas. I've seen numerous "ideas" that really are bugs that should be filed on Launchpad. There also seems to be a lot of package requests going on brainstorm as well which is not the proper way to request a package. Posting package requests on Brainstorm probably isn't going to get them packaged.
    Last edited by FuturePilot; July 7th, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 2 X 1TB, 1 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post

Sort of. I meant have a "random" or "new idea" area that anybody can post to. Only one team, and that team votes on new ideas posted to that area to determine whether they are promoted into a "real" category.

The public submission forum will essentially be unmaintained (making maintenance easy) other than promoting the team selected ideas to a category.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I think part of the problem is that people confuse bug reports with ideas.
    True. From my limited time at the brainstorm website, this was EXACTLY what made it not as fun to browse. Most ideas were "make <X> better", "make <y> have THIS feature", "make Ubuntu not crash for <Z>".

If a committee had to vote to promote the ideas, then those type of "ideas" could be limited and not have to be sorted through for actual ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Once you guys have decided on a plan and need extra manpower, you have one volunteer here.
    [AMD AthlonX2 4000,Emaxx MCP61S-AVL,2GB Geil,7300GT 512MB,160GB]
    [Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965,Core2 P7350 2.0GHz,4GB RAM,200GB HDD]
    [Sony Vaio VGN-CR35G,Core2 T8100 2.10GHz,2GB RAM,200GB HDD]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite View Post
    Sort of. I meant have a "random" or "new idea" area that anybody can post to. Only one team, and that team votes on new ideas posted to that area to determine whether they are promoted into a "real" category.

The public submission forum will essentially be unmaintained (making maintenance easy) other than promoting the team selected ideas to a category.
    Interesting.
    So what you have in mind would be similar to the slashdot firehose, i.e. anyone can submit stories, and vote for them on the firehose. Then moderators looks at them and decide which of them to include in the front page stream of news, according to their relevance, their following the rules and the general interest.

A global filter before reaching the main idea pages. Hmm, that could be great! As far as I remember, this has not yet been submitted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by nand View Post
    Interesting.
    So what you have in mind would be similar to the slashdot firehose, i.e. anyone can submit stories, and vote for them on the firehose. Then moderators looks at them and decide which of them to include in the front page stream of news, according to their relevance, their following the rules and the general interest.

A global filter before reaching the main idea pages. Hmm, that could be great! As far as I remember, this has not yet been submitted.
    OK...sounds about the same as what I'm proposing. I don't frequent slash dot too much, but it sounds like pretty much the same set up as I'm proposing.

Doesn't have to be exactly that way, but something along those lines would be a good way to go I think.

I volunteer too if you want a help team.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nand View Post
    Interesting.

+1

i seen some people submit unrealistic ideas like:

"Canonical should get EA to port all their games"

clearly that won't happen any time soon (unrealistic), nor it's canonical's responsibility but everyone voted it up...

moderate idea submission.

moderators should point users where to submit bug reports (in case the submitted "idea" turns out to be one)

also, if an idea does not make it out of the brainfart area to the public voting area, let the user know exactly why, don't leave them hanging. Let them discuss it all they want and anyone can comment.
    Last edited by madjr; July 7th, 2008 at 08:36 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've created a brainstorm idea on this. I expect it to be voted down, though, as people won't really read the idea. They'll just take a look at the title and think "I don't want people filtering my ideas!" Unfortunately, I couldn't make the title any longer than that.

Idea #10848: Have moderators who filter out brainstorms before people can vote on them

By the way, here are some other Brainstorm-related brainstorms I thought had merit:
    Idea #10695: Brainstorm: Show vote count on ideas
    Idea #10461: Brainstorm: add "Mark this idea as 'not an idea'" - button
    Idea #9775: Ubuntu Brainstorm should start with random latest ideas
    Idea #10294: Expand vote from Yes/No to Yes/Indifferent/No or 1-5 vote
    Idea #10081: Brainstorm - make text entry box widths wider

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast