Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Install And Update Package error

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    9

    Install And Update Package error

    Hello, im getting an error from my package manager, when i open it, it displays this error

    Eroblem parsing dependency Depends, E:Error occurred while processing libgv-ruby (NewVersion1), Eroblem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_ binary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

    What could be wrong and how can i fix it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of Pines
    Beans
    3,585

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    Try the command below on your terminal:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    If that does not fix it, try the other command below:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get update -o APT::Cache-Limit=25165824
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    9

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    The terminal comes up with this error for both codes:

    E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
    E: Error occurred while processing libgv-ruby (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_ binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of Pines
    Beans
    3,585

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    Quote Originally Posted by jean9120 View Post
    The terminal comes up with this error for both codes:

    E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
    E: Error occurred while processing libgv-ruby (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_ binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status.old
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    9

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    it uninstalled them fine when i did that, but then when the update got to a vertain point the same message came up


    E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
    E: Error occurred while processing libgv-ruby (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_ binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of Pines
    Beans
    3,585

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    Quote Originally Posted by jean9120 View Post
    it uninstalled them fine when i did that, but then when the update got to a vertain point the same message came up


    E: Problem parsing dependency Depends
    E: Error occurred while processing libgv-ruby (NewVersion1)
    E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_ binary-i386_Packages
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    What about doing the commands below on your terminal:

    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_binary-i386_Packages /var/lib/apt/lists/ca.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_hardy_universe_binary-i386_Packages.old
    Code:
    sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status.old
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    Have you tried switching repositories from System->Administration->Software Sources ? That should at least refresh the list files.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Beans
    9

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    after doing all of that im getting this error now:

    E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2 No such file or directory)
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of Pines
    Beans
    3,585

    Re: Install And Update Package error

    Quote Originally Posted by jean9120 View Post
    after doing all of that im getting this error now:

    E: Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2 No such file or directory)
    E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    Just copy and paste this commands on your terminal: one-at-a-time

    Code:
    sudo cp /var/lib/dpkg/status-old /var/lib/dpkg/status
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •