Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to automatically email me with IP address?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

How to automatically email me with IP address?

Hi, I'm running an Ubuntu 8.04.1 server on a DHCP network (not behind a router), and although it doesn't happen often I'm afraid the IP address of the server will change and I won't be able to access it anymore. Also, sometimes the modem crashes and comes back up but leaves the server without a connection. Right now I set up a script to basically do ifdown/ifup daily to ensure that if the modem crashes and it loses an IP it will get it back within a day. But, I'm afraid that it will get a different IP when it does this. Is there a way to have the server email me with it's IP address, say, once a week? Also, with my ifdown/ifup script, is there a way to not have any output from the ifdown/ifup commands? Right now I get a "mail" message daily on my server with the output of ifdown/ifup and it's kind of cluttered and annoying to delete. I'm not familiar at all with sending emails via a terminal. Thanks in advance!

By the way, my idea was to perhaps send me an email with the contents of "wget http://whatismyip.org", since it would only contain the current IP address. Or perhaps getting the IP address via some internal method would work better.
    --iissmart--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How to automatically email me with IP address?

You could use a dynamic dns provider like no-ip. That way you can always access the server by name no matter what the IP is. You run a client on the server that updates the no-ip service when the IP changes.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already own a domain name for the server, therefore I don't use a dynamic dns provider. So, I just need a script which emails me the IP address of itself, and I'll just put it in /etc/cron.weekly
    --iissmart--

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

so then, if your server has a (domain) name, why do you need to access it by address ? domain names were invented to avoid having to use addresses ...

Beans

Also if your ISP does not give you a dynamic address then that would make it static, meaning it would never change.

Beans

Post Re: How to automatically email me with IP address?

Well, I guess this would do:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo 'Mailing your IP address...'
    ip=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep inet | grep -v inet6 | grep -v 127.0.0.1 | awk '{ print $2 }' | sed -e s'/addr://'`
    echo $ip | mail -s 'IP Address Info' <email>
    Obviously, you'd have to replace <email> with your email address.
    You could crontab the script each hour or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Your best bet would be to write a small shellscript piping the contents of ifconfig to an email message.
    Since you're not behind a router, and your system is (i'm assuming) using the DHCP address itself (not NAT), this will work easily.
    To make it smarter, add an if/then emailing you ONLY if the address changes from whatever it was previously.
    Then, add the script to cron to run hourly or daily or twice a day or whatever makes you comfortable.
    Example:

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

OLDADDR=`cat ~/dhcp_file`
    CURADDR=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep Bcast`

if [ "$CURADDR" != "$OLDADDR" ]
            then
                    echo "$CURADDR" > ~/dhcp_file
                    mail -s 'Here is my new ip address' your@email.address < ~/dhcp_file
            else
                    exit
    fi
    This will send an email to you every time your address changes, provided you've added it to someone's cron (specifically a user able to run ifconfig).
    I just tested it on my Debian system, and it works with no problem.
    Note: you'll need to install sendmail before being able to do it:
    apt-get install sendmail-bin

good luck!

ps, you probably won't ever get an email from this script as most isps don't often change user ip addresses these days, but i agree with you-- caution beats cure every time.
    Last edited by sp00ki; July 7th, 2008 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by simonapnic View Post
    Well, I guess this would do:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo 'Mailing your IP address...'
    ip=`/sbin/ifconfig | grep inet | grep -v inet6 | grep -v 127.0.0.1 | awk '{ print $2 }' | sed -e s'/addr://'`
    echo $ip | mail -s 'IP Address Info' <email>
    Obviously, you'd have to replace <email> with your email address.
    You could crontab the script each hour or so.
    lol... looks like i was beaten to the punch, though i like that mine only sends an email if the address changes as opposed to sending email every time. gives more of an "alert" feel to it (and a duplicate email every hour can be a bit excessive).
    Last edited by sp00ki; July 7th, 2008 at 08:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by iissmart View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that I already own a domain name for the server, therefore I don't use a dynamic dns provider. So, I just need a script which emails me the IP address of itself, and I'll just put it in /etc/cron.weekly
    Even if you own the domain, if your IP address is not static, you could make your life much easier with a redirect. You would point your domain at the redirect, and they would take care of always maintaining a connection to your server. No funky scripts necessary.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This thread is great, but I have a question how do you have the internet on without using a router? Does this mean that the computer is attach straight to the phone line? I not trying to be funny can someone tell what this means
    It doesn't aways happen straight away. But time has a way of leveling everything!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast