Thread: No gnome apps running after upgrade to heron

Beans

No gnome apps running after upgrade to heron

Hi,

I've also posted recently about gdm hanging after upgrading to heron. i've also found that when using another display manager, such as kde or fluxbox, i can't run any gnome apps at all. when i say gnome apps, i mean just about anything that doesnt start with a K- firefox, gnome-terminal being two examples. Konqueror runs as does Konsole.
    any ideas where i can look to try and figure out what is going on? I tail -f syslog as i launch these apps but don't see anything
    Do I perhaps need to reinstall gtk?
    your help very much appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: No gnome apps running after upgrade to heron

Can you post the output of running:-
    Code:
    firefox
    in Konsole?
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Re: No gnome apps running after upgrade to heron

i was just about to update my post with that very information. every gtk app i run tells me
    symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: undefined symbol: g_dpgettext

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] No gnome apps running after upgrade to heron

I had my own copy of glib installed in /usr/local/lib. removing this seems to have solved the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] No gnome apps running after upgrade to heron

Quote Originally Posted by kreyszigrocks View Post
    I had my own copy of glib installed in /usr/local/lib. removing this seems to have solved the problem.
    That might have very well been the problem since Update Manager usually gets rid of any "alien" packages before it commences with the upgrade.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!