Thread: Thunderbird and root mail!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thunderbird and root mail!

I have spent a couple of hrs trying to configure thunderbird to receive root mail, using these tutorials (they are pretty much the same):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-7321.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=7321
    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-forw...our-inbox.html

None of them work!

If anybody happened to solve this issue, shout!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Thunderbird and root mail!

Why not just add an alias for root that directs its mail to your own account? Edit (as root with sudo) the file /etc/aliases and add a line like this:

Code:
    root:      myusername
    replacing "myusername" with your own username. Then run the command "sudo newaliases" and all root's mail will come directly to you.

Another option, if you have procmail installed, is to write a .procmailrc file in /root that contains "recipes" for how root's mail should be handled. With procmail, you can write a rule that sends mail with specific headers to one account, mail with other headers to another account or a folder within an account, and delivers the remainder by default to root's inbox. If procmail is installed, type "man procmailrc" and "man procmailex" at the terminal prompt to get help on its syntax.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Why not just add an alias for root that directs its mail to your own account? Edit (as root with sudo) the file /etc/aliases and add a line like this:

Code:
    root:      myusername
    replacing "myusername" with your own username. Then run the command "sudo newaliases" and all root's mail will come directly to you.
    Already tried that, does not work.

Another option, if you have procmail installed, is to write a .procmailrc file in /root that contains "recipes" for how root's mail should be handled. With procmail, you can write a rule that sends mail with specific headers to one account, mail with other headers to another account or a folder within an account, and delivers the remainder by default to root's inbox. If procmail is installed, type "man procmailrc" and "man procmailex" at the terminal prompt to get help on its syntax.
    I only use thunderbird, not interested in other mail services.

thx tho

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by youngunix View Post
    I only use thunderbird, not interested in other mail services.
    Thunderbird is not a mail service, it is a client.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGary View Post
    Thunderbird is not a mail service, it is a client.
    I don't see how that is helping with the issue!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by youngunix View Post
    Already tried that, does not work.
    You realize that I'm talking about adding an alias on the mail server, not the machine running Thunderbird, yes? The same holds true for procmail. That's a "mail delivery agent" that used by the "mail transfer agent" to handle local delivery. On stock Ubuntu systems the "MTA" is Postfix and the MDA is either mail.local or procmail.

None of this has anything to do with Thunderbird. These suggestions concern what the server does with mail addressed to the root account before it is read with a POP or IMAP client like Thunderbird.

Beans

First step: copy all already existing root messages (emails) to your user account:
    Copy /var/mail/root to /var/mail/username.
    You must replace the word "username" with your own account name that you can get by typing "whoami" in a terminal window.
    Set the access rights for the copied folder so your user account can read and write to it. (owner=username:mail)

Second step: get future messages from root delivered to your own email account:
    Just make the alias as described above or forward from root by creating the file /root/.forward with the text "username@localhost" inside. You must replace the word "username" with your own account name that you can get by typing "whoami" in a terminal window.

Third step: read the messages from your account intoThunderbird:
    In Thunderbird, select from menu: "Edit" --> "Account Settings" --> "Account actions" --> "Add other Account". Then checkmark "Unix Mailspool(movemail)" and click "next". The last edit box reads "Email Address: username@(none)". Replace "(none)" with "localhost". and click "next". In this page with title "Server Information" I unchecked "Use Global inbox", because I didn't want to mix my normal mails with the system mails. Then I clicked "next". Now it asks about the new inbox. I named it "System". After some more settings (I selected all options to automatically check and download messages) the new email account was finally showing up on the left side below my old account. Then I went to its inbox and pressed "get mail" and voila, the inbox was filled with all the system mails for root.
    Last edited by chaarmann; June 1st, 2012 at 12:27 AM.