Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to prepare /home for clean reinstall?

Beans

Re: how to prepare /home for clean reinstall?

Thanks again. I did a test run earlier this week, and the sequence that works is:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

That drops me to a command prompt, still logged in as myself. Or maybe logged out, I forget, but I can easily then log in and it will stay in CLI mode. If I want to get back into graphical mode, then

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    --
    noodling around with Ubuntu since Dec 2004; running it on my primary desktop machine since Dec 2005
    currently running 10.04 LTS Lucid Lynx; nothing but LTS releases for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

im on expert, but id suggest that you take a backup of your entire home ( if you have the space...

then format it and paste back the config files that you DO NEED rather than trying to prune out the ones you dont think you should keep...

id say its always nicer to start fresh... and then restore rather than have it all still their...

especialy because you sound like their are only a few applications that you need to keep the settings for... so i think you should wipe it all clean and then reinstall your program and as you go along and find that you want ur old settings for that app back.. copy the .<app> file back...

that way you get as much new settings for your applications as you can get, and only keep the ones that you NEED...

so thats my advice but as i said i am no expert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Thanks again. I did a test run earlier this week, and the sequence that works is:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

That drops me to a command prompt, still logged in as myself. Or maybe logged out, I forget, but I can easily then log in and it will stay in CLI mode. If I want to get back into graphical mode, then

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    I still don't get it - did you ever try to just delete (or rename) the .gnome directories, or whatever you wanted to delete? It's usually best to try the simple approach first.

I was able to use Nautilus without sudo to rename or delete all the .gnome* directories, so why did you have to jump through hoops?

It seems to me you had answers that you ignored because you were intent on doing something else. It sounds like you asked how to delete the files, but what you really wanted to know was how to jump through the hoops to do it the hard way. Perhaps you forgot it was linux, and thought you were still in Windows? In Windows, I'm sure it would be hard to do. But with Linux, many people have a separate /home directory (like me), and so can install a new root system, or upgrade, or reinstall, without needing to reset all the preferences. I have lots of settings for shell scripts, aliases, and other configurations that I don't like to redo. I find it usually works fine.

You don't need to pay for support, you just need to ask the right questions.
    -- Marty Fried
    ubuntu @ leftcoast-usa (.) com
    Do Ubuntu
    The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 14676

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12