Thread: No connection to the database, user access denied etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

No connection to the database, user access denied etc...

Hello

Everyone has probably seen this a million times.
    I had a somewhat working MythTV system, but I had problems with the tuner cards and the video. I decided to start from scratch.
    This is a fresh install via Ubuntu and I am having problems with the database. I have tried quite a few posted methods to access the database and all I get is access denied. In the backend setup I have this setup as follows and tried,
    Hostname: localhost, tried 127.0.0.1 and even took a shot at my local IP 192.168.1.204
    Ping: checked or unchecked
    Port:3306 or nothing
    Database name:mythconverg
    User:mythtv
    Pass: yada yada yada (just the given password which is the same that is in the mysql.txt)
    All I get from the backend is.
    "Cannot login to database"
    I have tried various attempts via the terminal and I get the same or access denied. It looks like a user grant issue but I cannot get into MySQL via any terminal, remote access via MySQLAdministrator to give the user granted privileges. I installed MySQL Navigator and no access either. I had Myth running before but all I had to change was the Host name to 127.0.0.1 and that fixed the situation.
    Before I forget, looking in the directory there seems to be three MySQL servers, mysql, mysql-ndb and mysql-ndb-mgm. Is this normal?
    I would like to put this box back together and stop tweaking so I can start to enjoy Myth.
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: No connection to the database, user access denied etc...

This is a fresh install via Ubuntu
    Is this a fresh install of mythtv or mythbuntu?
    www.mythbuntu.org

If you're okay with doing a fresh install with mythbuntu, then go for it; much easier than configuring mythtv as a standalone program. You can download the liveCD or install it's package.

Otherwise, here's how you can reset your root password:
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/...rmissions.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: No connection to the database, user access denied etc...

Hi OffAxis

Thanks for the response. I ended up uninstalling MythTV and reinstalling it. The long way around but it fixed the problem. I installed Myth via the Synaptic Package Manager. I had the problem once before but that was with Mythbuntu and that was easy to fix just changing the host name. This one was a bear for someone new at this. I really don't like uninstalling and reinstalling stuff, but I was anxious to get this going. Again thanks for your help and the link to the password fix for MySQL. I have that bookmarked on another computer just in case.

Take care,

Z