Thread: kubuntu uninstall older kernel versions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

kubuntu uninstall older kernel versions

Hi,

I'm running kubuntu and I guess I've installed a couple updates to the kernel as I've got a bunch of versions to choose from in my grub menu file. I've heard that you can uninstall the older versions of the kernel, but I can't find any such options in the adept installer. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: kubuntu uninstall older kernel versions

just go to /boot/grub/menu.lst and delete or put a # in front of each line you dont want.

Beans

That will effectively remove the boot options from GRUB, but it won't get rid of the several hundred megs worth of kernel files still installed. Go into adept, and type in 'kernel' into the search box. Scroll down until you find the linux-headers and linux image files. If you are booted into the latest kernel, and everything works fine, go ahead and remove all the headers and images of the old kernels. This will by default remove them from the GRUB menu. Whatever you do, don't remove the installed image or header files for 2.6.24-19. Those are your current kernel, and if you remove them, you will be unable to boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

great- the only problem is typing 'kernel' into the search box in adept gives me only 1 hit for some kernel for the game 'arkhart'. ( I have selected to show unsupported software and proprietary software in the upper right hand corner. any suggestions where i can find this in the adept gui?

Beans

Well, you could just scroll all the way down, or you could use "linux-image" to get the images and "linux-header" to get the headers and "linux-restricted" to get those ... yeah, and that should be all.
    "I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language." ~ The Black Mage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i entered these terms into the adept gui and got 0 hits each time. i've scrolled through the "System" and "Utilities" sets of applications. not sure where you intend me to scroll down- can you give me some more info?

Beans

You have to use the Adept Manager, which you can find in the K Menu -> System -> Adept Manager.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ahh... different package managers. See this is why I posted in the newbies section. Thanks!