Thread: E-Tax 2008 in wine...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

E-Tax 2008 in wine...

This is probably only relevant to Australians...

Im trying to do my tax return but cant get past the pre-filling screen in e-tax no matter what option I select. This is the first program I have tried running with wine so Im not really sure how to use it properly, are there any settings I have to use to get this to work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: E-Tax 2008 in wine...

I haven't tried E-Tax but I have tried MYOB. It doesn't work too well.

If you are downloading E-tax you will be asked if you want to open it in Wine, say 'OK' and it should load in Wine. To open it go to Wine in your application list and click on 'E-Tax'. (You have downloaded Wine from the Synaptic Manager?)

It is very automatic and simple but I haven't got anything to work correctly yet. I think it prefers some of the better known Windows software like Word, Excel etc. and games.

Good Luck!
    Redptc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for the reply,

I can get the program to start, but when I get a few steps in when entering my details there is a option that can automatically get details from centrelink and banks and stuff and you get an option to either use this or not, no matter what I select though the program doesnt respond, so I was wondering if there are any special settings I should be using within wine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

ok I just found this

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=28039

so it seems that it is a general probelm...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This will be unhelpful, other than to say that most government departments only think of M$ when making such forms and rarely make anything that work in mac or linux. If you don't have a dual boot, consider running windows in virtualbox or some other vm for these rare occasions. I have a dual boot, but never run xp except in rare situations like this.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I actually emailed ATO a few weeks ago...

I don't have the original email but the response I recieved was pretty crap and wrote back another email. So far I haven't heard back... so I am still waiting
    Hello Ella

Please be advised that e-tax is not compatible with Linux or Apple Macintosh computers.

However, e‑tax has been tested successfully on an Apple computer running OS X v10.4.3 with Virtual PC 7 software emulating a recommended Windows operating system.

The Tax Office recommends that your computer meets the following requirements in order for you to use e-tax.

Component

Requirements

Computer processor

PC with Intel Pentium or equivalent.

Operating system

Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 4, XP Service Pack 2 (32 bit) or Vista Service Pack 1 (32 bit).

Browser

To download e-tax: Most browsers will enable you to download e-tax, including any version of Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2.0.

To lodge a tax return: Browser components are not used in the lodgment process.

To lodge an online baby bonus claim: Use any version of Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox 2.0.

Vision impaired

Screen reader: Jaws (6.0, 7.0 or 8.0) or Window-Eyes Professional (5.0, 5.5 or 6.0) and select the option for the vision impaired during installation.

Magnification software: Most commercial versions of screen magnification software should work with the standard installation of e-tax.

Other

Internet access (not via a proxy server).

Full administration rights on your PC.

I trust that this information will be of assistance to you.
    My response: (I am ashamed to read now that I have so many grammar mistakes in my email- I was rushed, but I'm sure you get the gist of it).

Hi Frank,

I would like say that not all tax payers who submit their tax returns each year, whether through an accountant or paper- not everyone primarily uses Window Operating Systems.

I am cornered about people using internet cafes or borrowing a computer from a friend to submit their tax returns. This would be a cause for concern especially regarding to identity theft. There are a whole host of other issues but it would take all day to go through them. Even though I am confident with the security provided with e-tax, I would like to point out that not everyone is very technical savvy with their computer security settings.

This is one of the very many reasons why I use Linux for that extra stability and security.

It would be very good if at some stage the ATO were to develop a native e-tax version for Linux and Apple Operating Systems in the future. I am hoping to see this sooner than later- next year if possible.

Many thanks for your reply.

I guess that if enough people are able to send requests for native versions, then this could get the ball rolling hopefully, then perhaps ATO may consider it when they can see there are enough users to justify the costs of developing a program for linux users.

Truth be told, time is money- they have to pay software developers to create a such software. While I understand most computer users primarily use Windows- fair enough, I don't see why they discount Mac/Apple (what ever it's called) users as well. Really it's not acceptable that someone needs to source a Windows based computer in order to use E-Tax.
    Australian Open Office Users: You can get an Aussie dictionary for OOO. ie colour not color.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Yeah, it's all to do with money, do you think the Aust. Government cares about open source?? They are just as obsessed with restriction, DRM and all those horrible things that lock one into the expensive upgrade model developed by M$. It creates heaps of jobs and wealth - except for the buyer, who is kept poor. However, your point, that if there were enough complaints they may consider a linux/apple version - I think pigs will fly past the window first, but one never knows. Problem is the ATO and Government don't care how much M$ slugs them for it software, because it is us, the tax payer paying for it - M$ users get slugged by M$ two ways without even realising it! I can't understand why Governments don't save themselves millions of $$$'s a year by going to open source. Taxpayers should demand it, but lets face it, more than half the population have never heard of linux. By the way I saw someone from the US complaining about the IRS in the same vain.
    Last edited by bumanie; July 5th, 2008 at 10:04 AM.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by scotcella View Post
    I guess that if enough people are able to send requests for native versions, then this could get the ball rolling hopefully, then perhaps ATO may consider it when they can see there are enough users to justify the costs of developing a program for linux users.
    Yep. Done about 4 years ago.

I guess a few hundred requests for linux support (eg a java base, or browser base, etc) isn't really a big percentage out of millions unfortunately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

blah!

I use an accountant anyway who does it, so it probably works out well in my favour 'cos quite frankly I'm too lazy.

BUT...... I'd definately use it if it was avialable for linux yeah! *looks the other way*.. YEAH!
    Australian Open Office Users: You can get an Aussie dictionary for OOO. ie colour not color.