Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Updating to 8.04.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (testing)

Re: Updating to 8.04.1

Quote Originally Posted by Franc88 View Post
    That's my problem now with 8.04.1, my freaking wireless is not working. Got it to work for 8.04 but now its dead. The hardware driver is installed and enable but status is "not in use".
    I've had similar issues.
    Ubuntu: IntrepidIbex x32 v8.10-RC (v2.6.27-7 Kernel) / Gnome / C.Fusion / Emerald / Guake / wicd / etc...
    UbuntuUser#: 24216

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

I am a new person to this forums. I am actually amazed with 2 things. One is Ubuntu and the other one is you all... Can you all help me to become a savy like you guys?? I also have a question regarding VMware. Link to my post is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=889720 . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Anukool.R

Beans

Looks to me like the upgrade process is not yet ready for prime time. My experience is that everything worked (no locale problem) up until time to enter my name (in the "name, id, password, computer name" screen". I hit enter after my name and the process bombed so thoroughly that the screen went black and there was no video input to the monitor, no response to the keyboard. A reset took me to the grub loader, then to a seized, black screen.

After a lot of agonizing, I downloaded the whole new 8.04.1 iso and started over. That worked. AND it seems like all my data is still there!

I'm afraid I'd have to recommend reinstalling over upgrading.

Looks to me like the upgrade process is not yet ready for prime time. My experience is that everything worked (no locale problem) up until time to enter my name (in the "name, id, password, computer name" screen". I hit enter after my name and the process bombed so thoroughly that the screen went black and there was no video input to the monitor, no response to the keyboard. A reset took me to the grub loader, then to a seized, black screen.

After a lot of agonizing, I downloaded the whole new 8.04.1 iso and started over. That worked. AND it seems like all my data is still there!

I'm afraid I'd have to recommend reinstalling over upgrading.
    Reinstalling is recommended over upgrading. Upgrading can work, but it can be problematic, especially if propriatery drivers are used.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Reinstalling is recommended over upgrading. Upgrading can work, but it can be problematic, especially if propriatery drivers are used.
    I tried installing!
    But i always get busybox using the Live-cd and mini.iso

Apparently something to do with ata and Ide-drivers!
    I tried using the hints they gave here on the forum, but nothing worked!

From another post, there was this suggestion:

Try this as a boot option: all_generic_ide.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

Beans

From another post, there was this suggestion:
    in mini.iso it says "can't find kernel"

I tried it in live cd and it didn't help either!
    It throws me a bunch of errors
    buffer i/o error in device sr0
    ata.1: status [DRDY]

these errors copied into pages full
    Last edited by jcsaintpo; August 22nd, 2008 at 04:16 PM. Reason: word wrongly spelled

I wonder if the problem is with the Hardy kernel. Check out the Intrepid Ibex's Live CD. It is alpha now, but if it boots ok, then I suspect the Hardy kernel would definately be the problem. It's not for use on a stable system, but I'm not sure what else to do.

Beans

I wonder if the problem is with the Hardy kernel. Check out the Intrepid Ibex's Live CD. It is alpha now, but if it boots ok, then I suspect the Hardy kernel would definately be the problem. It's not for use on a stable system, but I'm not sure what else to do.
    do i also add all_generic_ide ?

(am downloading now)

do i also add all_generic_ide ?
    I would try it without and if that doesn't work, I would try it with it.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast