Thread: Question on OpenOffice font colors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question on OpenOffice font colors

To those that use OpenOffice: you know how it seems the only way to change font colors is to click the icon, then highlight text? Is there any way to change font colors by simply choosing a color, then having the text typed from then on have that color? Every word processor except OO.org has this feature.

This feature has been requested and/or send in as a bug report numerous times, yet the OO.org people refuse to do anything about it.

In fact, in a couple of release versions, such a feature has been added by accident as a result of a bug elsewhere, and the feature was promptly removed in the next release.

Is there another way of doing this that I just don't know about? What about extensions? Has anyone taken matters into their own hands about this? I know I can still highlight to change colors, but so can every other word processor, and this is a common feature that only OO.org lacks.

Any ideas? This bug has been around for several years, since the 1.x line. I don't think they have any intentions of fixing it, and it is probably a very minor fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Question on OpenOffice font colors

Within OO Writer navigate to Format>Character

When the window opens, Click on the Font Effects Tab

Choose your font colour from the Font Colour drop down menu.

Is this what you want?

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Question on OpenOffice font colors

That's almost what I want. I'd like to be able to choose the colors quickly on the fly, and have the full palette available when choosing, just like it is when I change colors by highlighting.

In other words, I'd like the font color button to just change the current font color from the cursor on, and if text is already highlighted, change the highlighted text and any subsequently typed text.