Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anti-Virus for a beginner

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Anti-Virus for a beginner

Basically, an Anti-virus is only needed if say you are running a mailserver or public FTP server and you wanted to do a good favor and protect your windows friends.

All anti-virus software scan for virus / trojan signatures, and windows viruses can't run on Linux anyhow (except in wine). So running a anti-virus software on Linux does not protect you from any "Social-Engineering" attacks.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Instead of wasting your time with antivirus, use strong passwords, don't install any kind of server software unless you know what you're doing, use NoScript, and don't install software from outside the Ubuntu repositories.

In other words, concern yourself with real security, not placebo security.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    In other words, concern yourself with real security, not placebo security.
    You mean, Security Theater
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Totally the term I was looking for. I hadn't known of that phrase before. Thanks for the link.

Edit: On second thought, placebo may more appropriately describe this situation, since security theater appears to actually have some positive inadvertant or temporary security benefits and sometimes can be effective against attackers or criminals who are fooled by it. Any digital threat will not be fooled by antivirus.

I'm still grateful for the link, though. It was a great read, and now I have a new term at my disposal.
    Last edited by aysiu; July 5th, 2008 at 03:30 AM.

Beans

You don't need an antivirus for linux. all you need is a good firewall. Read this guide on setting up a firewall.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrfla View Post
    I heard that thier was curently no know viruses for linux. I don't even think you can get a anti-virus for linux.
    Wrong on both counts. There are a few viruses out for Linux/UNIX systems and even a couple for MacOSX.

Also there are several different AV software apps for Linux. Avast offer a free "Home" version for linux.

Not throwing this in your face or trying to prove you wrong bud. Just giving good info for you. It never hurts to have to protection just in case.
    System Specs: AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 3.0GHrz dual-core, XFX GeForce 8200 MB, 3.0GB DDR2, GeForce 9800GT 1024MB graphics card, 320GB hdd, 620GB hdd, Coolmaster CM690 case, Ubuntu 11.04 Ubuntu # 28694

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Here, this xkcd comic puts it best:

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php...t&sd=a#p721240
    Brian Napoletano
    b.napoletano@gmail.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stalkier View Post
    Wrong on both counts. There are a few viruses out for Linux/UNIX systems and even a couple for MacOSX.

Also there are several different AV software apps for Linux. Avast offer a free "Home" version for linux.

Not throwing this in your face or trying to prove you wrong bud. Just giving good info for you. It never hurts to have to protection just in case.
    These are all the viruses for Linux. It seems that there aren't that many, and even less in the wild. I would say catching a virus has a chance of next to nothing, so at this stage anti-virus won't matter.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    These are all the viruses for Linux. It seems that there aren't that many, and even less in the wild. I would say catching a virus has a chance of next to nothing, so at this stage anti-virus won't matter.
    The few viruses in that list that have links appear to be outdated (i.e., aren't real threats).

Bliss, for example:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia entry
    Although it was probably intended to prove that Linux can be infected, it does not propagate very effectively because of the structure of Linux's user privilege system.
    or OSF.8759
    The virus attempts to infect all the files in the current directory recursively and if run from a root account, will try to infect all files in the /bin directory. In any case, no more than 201 files are infected in one run. Moreover the virus avoids infecting the files under /dev, /proc and all the files with a suffix ps such as in maps. The backdoor attempts to listen on UDP port 3049 and provides many internal commands to execute files on the target system. Upon execution, the virus tries to modify the firewall rules so that they do not interfere with the backdoor's operation. It also attempts to evade debugging by spawning a debugger itself. If the virus fails to spawn its own debugger, it assumes that the system already has a running debugger and will terminate its execution immediately.
    Staog
    Staog was the first computer virus written for the Linux operating system. It was discovered in the fall of 1996, and the vulnerabilities that it exploited were shored up soon after. It has not been detected in the wild since its initial outbreak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12