Thread: 8.04 -- putting GRUB on a floppy

Beans
    Hidden!

8.04 -- putting GRUB on a floppy

When I installed Dapper Drake 6.06 two years ago, I used the alternate install disk, and put GRUB on a floppy, which permitted me to have Win. 98SE, DR-DOS (which is necessary for me) and Ubuntu. A bit awkward, but it works fine.

I have the alternate install disk for Hardy Heron 8.04.

My question is very simple: using the alternate install disk for Hardy Heron, can I put GRUB on a floppy, as I did with Dapper Drake? I know that I ought to be able to do so, but I have to be sure before I do the upgrade.

JL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 8.04 -- putting GRUB on a floppy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLauritsen View Post
    When I installed Dapper Drake 6.06 two years ago, I used the alternate install disk, and put GRUB on a floppy, which permitted me to have Win. 98SE, DR-DOS (which is necessary for me) and Ubuntu. A bit awkward, but it works fine.

I have the alternate install disk for Hardy Heron 8.04.

My question is very simple: using the alternate install disk for Hardy Heron, can I put GRUB on a floppy, as I did with Dapper Drake? I know that I ought to be able to do so, but I have to be sure before I do the upgrade.

JL
    Yes, the alternate install cd hasn't really changed since I installed Breezy. I just recently installed Hardy with the alternate disk...last step of the install, you can select "No" to install to the mbr, then you can enter /dev/fd0 to install grub to floppy.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: 8.04 -- putting GRUB on a floppy

Thank you. It worked out just the way you said it would. All is fine.

JL