Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LAN ok, WAN no connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: LAN ok, WAN no connection

I believe I have the ddclient problem solved, copied my ddclient from /etc/ddclient/ddclient.conf to /etc/ddclient.conf, and unplugged the power to the router overnight. Checked the IP going to my router this morning on a PC, turned the server on and as soon as the server completed bootup, the IP changed at DynsDNS.org. I give credit to my find to the community and would list the thread address, but I can not find it at this time. When I find it I will include it.

Called my ISP again, they still claim not blocking any ports other than 25, 135,137, 138, 139, 445 and 1025. I went through the routine of what I'm doing again, they said to try NAT and/or DMZ configuration on the router so my server can be reached from the internet. Anyone familiar with setting NAT and DMZ up? And what and how they do what they do.

Thanks, have a great day.
    The Truth Is Within
    Linux User #464342

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have been googling and searching Wiki for "NAT", "NAPT" and "DMZ". I now basically understand all three. I am currently using NAPT to attempt port forwarding to my server from the router, and I have the firewall turned off in the router so DMZ would have no effect.

I have also changed my router's LAN IP addresses from 192.168.254.254 to 10.0.0.254 to see if that would make a difference. It does not. By the way, in port forwarding when you input the Ip address to send the request, on the Siemen's Speedstream 6520, it will not accept a port number like ":80" after the IP address.

I have come to the conclusion that my router's port forwarding capability does not work for some unknown reason, or my ISP is still not telling the truth.

The only request from the internet, be it from "Putty", "FTP" or "HTTP" is "HTTP" to port "80", and it opens a login screen which I have been told is used for remote login to the router.

Internally in my LAN, I can contact my server from either PC by addressing the IP address, the server name or the domain name.

Anyone have any other suggestions to try, or see where I am doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance, have a great day.

UPDATE: Tuesday 12:56 EST USA

I have just been on the phone with my ISP for the last hour and a-half, and finally got to a person who, off the record, admitted that the phone company made a decision to block ports on residential service to protect the user against spam, intrusion, etc, etc, etc. The only way to get around this is to get business service, with or without a static IP, but the overall service is configured differently than residential service. Yes, the cost goes up, I am paying $44.00 per month now, and could get the business with static IP for $79.00 per month, or go for the more inexpensive business service (dynamic IP and 2 year contract) for $59.00 per month. But, I have 90 days to cancel if the service is found not to work and/or the problem is found to be in the server. They use the same Seimens DSL 6520 modem gateway or they could change the DSL modem.

Any opinions? I'm out of ideas at this point.

Thanks, have a great day.
    Last edited by CyberDean; July 8th, 2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Update
    The Truth Is Within
    Linux User #464342

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm sorry Dean, but you still are very confused with all this stuff. Your router DOES have port forwarding and there IS a way to do a custom setup. I saw it in the pics you posted. Now, I'm afraid you might be so mucked up we may have even more difficulty. I am not in any way trying to be rude here, just a bit frustrated I guess. One thing I learned quickly when I got in this business. Do ONE thing at a time, test it, and if it doesn't work, put it back the way it was. That way, you never mess anything up.

OK that being said, let's keep trying to fix your problem. First of all, your EXTERNAL interface on your router should be set to DHCP if that is how your ISP wants it. You probably don't want to mess with however it is set up now if you have internet access and it's working.

On your INTERNAL LAN, set your IP subnet to whatever you are going to use. You can use 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x or technically you could even use routable addresses but I wouldn't. OK so give your router an address, say 192.168.2.1. that is your GATEWAY address. All of the LAN PCs and servers must have an IP of 192.168.2.x to talk to the gateway. So next you will give your internal machines static IPs in that range.

Once that is all set up and you have internet going out, then you need to go in to your router's port forwarding config, it will not usually say it's port forwarding, and it may have some common ports already configured like port 80 for http. Don't worry about that, you are looking for a custom configuration where you can add your own application and port. This is where you are getting stuck. Is there anyone at your ISP that can walk you through port forwarding? When you make the entry, there should be a place for the IP of the LAN computer you want to forward to. There, use JUST the IP, no port no :80, just 192.168.2.2 or whatever. There will be another box or place for the port. In there you put 80 (or the port you want), not :80 or anything else, just plain 80. Then, save the connection. That's it, you have just forwarded a port. Let me see if I can find some pics on the net to make this clear with your router. I'll be back in a bit. Hang in there.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

OK,

login to the modem - admin/admin
    click on the security icon on the left side.
    click on the address translation icon on the right side.
    click on configure next to NAPT.
    click on "add a custom bypass entry"

Choose TCP as protocol, fill in the port in both the following boxes. Make sure you have a static IP Adress and fill in that in the: Redirect selected protocol/service to IP Address:
    That shouuuuld be it!

You can also try this. It is for a Bell speedstream but it's the same router:

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...m6520index.htm

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    OK,

login to the modem - admin/admin
    click on the security icon on the left side.
    click on the address translation icon on the right side.
    click on configure next to NAPT.
    click on "add a custom bypass entry"

Choose TCP as protocol, fill in the port in both the following boxes. Make sure you have a static IP Adress and fill in that in the: Redirect selected protocol/service to IP Address:
    That shouuuuld be it!

You can also try this. It is for a Bell speedstream but it's the same router:

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...m6520index.htm

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Yes, I know I can get all mucked up, but believe it or not I think I'm starting to get it.

The above procedure is what I've been doing.

Currently I have - and they are all enabled
    TCP HTTP/80 10.0.0.4 (static IP)
    TCP 22 10.0.0.4 (static IP)
    UDP DNS/53 10.0.0.4 (static IP)
    TCP FTP/21 10.0.0.4 (static IP)
    UDP 443 10.0.0.4 (static IP)

I have static IP's on my LAN for all PC's and the server. I have no problem connecting to the server within my LAN.

Thanks for sticking with me.

UPDATE Jul 8 2:35 EST USA

Went to the site and followed the instructions after deleting all entries I made. I found one area that I had not input all the data. where you input the port number, there is two (2) boxes, if you are using only one port number, does that port number need to go in both boxes? Like 22-22. After inputting, applied and rebooting the router, everything seams the same here, need to get to the office to check from outside my LAN. If you would like to check it, I have enabled SSH port 22, IP address 74.46.254.38. I tried from within my LAN to see if I could go to the internet first and come back in, but it times out.

UPDATE: Jul 8 6:25 EST USA

Went to the office and tried to connect to the server using Putty (SSH) with my domain name and IP address, both timed out, no connection. Where do I go from here? I'm totally confused, this should work. I will post a screen print in the next post.
    Last edited by CyberDean; July 8th, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: UPDATE:
    The Truth Is Within
    Linux User #464342

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Here is the screen print of the configuration page in Speedstream.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Truth Is Within
    Linux User #464342

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Here is something that has bothered me in the past, but most things are working so it sort of got pushed into the back on my mind, but it still bothers me.

The first screen shot showing PPPoA(0) 0/35 with my IP address to the right.

The second screen shot showing the current routing table to include PPPoA(0) 0/35.

The third screen shot showing the ATM Virtual Circuit Wizard, which also includes PPPoA(0) 0/35, but look at the setting of that circuit. That is the way it has been since I started looking into the router configuration. Disabled, that makes no sense to me, but the router allows the server and PC'c to connect to the internet, so I have not said anything about it till now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Truth Is Within
    Linux User #464342

Beans

I too cannot get to my server using DYNDNS. I can ssh in but I cant pull any webpages from apache.

(behind my router I have no problem at all resolving, which is weird because shouldnt my request have to go out to the closest server, over to dyndns's database and then back to my router?)

Im thinking that maybe my ISP is blocking port 80 from being served? Im not using that dns client that was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if Im able to telnet in that shouldnt matter right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Both of you should make sure apache is running and listening on port 80. Then, go to canyouseeme.org and see if your port 80 is open. If not, there is either a problem with your ISP blocking the port, your port forwarding, or you have a firewall up that you don't know about.

Dean, you can't reach your site using the outside domain name on the inside of your network unless you put an alias in your /etc/hosts file on the computer you are using to access the site. On Windows, this file is in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Both of you should make sure apache is running and listening on port 80. Then, go to canyouseeme.org and see if your port 80 is open. If not, there is either a problem with your ISP blocking the port, your port forwarding, or you have a firewall up that you don't know about.

Dean, you can't reach your site using the outside domain name on the inside of your network unless you put an alias in your /etc/hosts file on the computer you are using to access the site. On Windows, this file is in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\.

-Tim
    that link helped alot, thanks! looks like my ISP was blocking port 80 so screw them! but i got my website up anyway!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast