Thread: Virtual Windows Question

Beans

Virtual Windows Question

Right now I have 3 partitions on my HD. One is ubuntu, one is Vista, and one is just for data. When I turn on the computer I am asked if I want to start Ubuntu or Vista.

Question is, when I'm logged into Ubuntu, can I turn on the Vista partition in some virtual desktop program.

I know that virtual windows on linux is possible, as it was reccomended to me before. However, I don't know if I can use the vista system I already have, or do I have to create some new virtual vista environment.

Thanks a lot, and please try to answer using basic words (I'm a linux noob)
    DISTRO: Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) GNOME: 2.22.2 (Ubuntu 2008-06-03) KERNEL: 2.6.24-19-generic

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Virtual Windows Question

Most of the virtual machine programs (e.g. VMWare, VirtualBox, qemu) have some facility for using an already installed system. You'll have to do some research and determine which one is best for you. Keep in mind that running any operating system in a virtual machine is going to be a lot slower than running the OS natively.
    E. A. (Ed) Graham, Jr.
    Linux User #28251
    Professional Java Geek

Beans

Re: Virtual Windows Question

Quote Originally Posted by txcrackers View Post
    Most of the virtual machine programs (e.g. VMWare, VirtualBox, qemu) have some facility for using an already installed system. You'll have to do some research and determine which one is best for you. Keep in mind that running any operating system in a virtual machine is going to be a lot slower than running the OS natively.
    Yes I understand it will be slower, but is the fact that I will be using an already installed system create any extra problems or any extra lag?
    DISTRO: Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) GNOME: 2.22.2 (Ubuntu 2008-06-03) KERNEL: 2.6.24-19-generic