Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giving Up on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Giving Up on Ubuntu

That's it. I've had it. Ever since I switched to Ubuntu, I'd had nothing but problems. I just can't take it anymore.

The incredibly easy GUI makes me feel stupid, like I'm not supposed to have to work to use Linux. What's the point of ditching Microsoft if I'm not going to have to do everything with arcane terminal commands I don't really understand? If things just pop up in windows like I'm used to, I feel like I'm using WINDOWS, just without the bloat and security vulnerabilities and meaningless restrictions.

And what's up with this not having permission to execute programs? On Windows, I could just click on an .exe, and it did it's thing, whether it was a virus or a spyware-riddled piece of junk! Now, I keep having to remember to go type in the terminal this stupid chmod command. Why can't everything just be allowed to execute automatically? Huh? Why? Windows used to psychically know that I don't care who gets to install what--why does Ubuntu think I want to know what's going on with my sensitive files?

And I really hate how hard it is to install programs. On Windows, I could just google until I found something that sounded like it might work, download it, double click, and watch it install itself to wherever it felt like along with really neat bonuses like Gator toolbar to help me find the advertisements that really appeal to ME. Now, I have to use this stupid Add/Remove Programs thing, or WORSE, the synaptic package manager. What's the point of searching for the kind of program I like and just checking a stupid box to install it? How do I know it's installed if I don't get to do any of the button pushing?

Don't even get me started on the crappy programs that are available. Open Office is absolutely awful. It's just like Microsoft Word, only I didn't have to pay for it, so I KNOW it's just not as good. And GIMP is a piece of junk. It lets me do almost everything Photoshop does, but, again, what's the catch? Why didn't I have to pay $200 for it? Because it's a piece of junk! That's why!

And then there's that whole Wine thing. If I can just run Windows programs like I'm running Windows, why not just run Windows in the first place? Why am I wasting my time with Ubuntu?

How do you even pronounce Ubuntu? Why couldn't they give it a nice, normal, American name, like Windows? Only not Windows, obviously, because Microsoft got there first.

Now, I'll tell you all how you can stop me from abandoning Ubuntu and going back to paying lots of money for vulnerable software that only gets improved if the company producing it thinks the update is going to be cost-effective. In spite of all the problems I've just listed, I'll keep using Ubuntu for just ONE MORE DAY if someone tells me how to fix my problem.

When I go into the terminal and type,

Code:
    aptitude help
    I am informed that "this aptitude does not have super cow powers."

How do I get super cow powers? I tried

Code:
    apt-get moo
    but still no powers.
    Veni, vidi, dormivi.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Giving Up on Ubuntu

I sorry, are you kidding?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Sometimes you have to try a little persuasion to get what you want:

Code:
    aptitude moo
    aptitude -v moo
    aptitude -v -v moo
    aptitude -v -v -v moo
    aptitude -v -v -v -v moo
    aptitude -v -v -v -v -v moo
    Great post!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

aptitude -vvvvvv moo
    Trade console games online, anonymous and cheap
    http://www.gamecherry.com

Beans

Post removed

(i just caught on)

Beans

OMG cryyyy babyyyy! Get over it! If you don't like don't use it. If you need help just ask.

Beans

OMG cryyyy babyyyy! Get over it! If you don't like don't use it. If you need help just ask.
    post is mostly sarcasm

(i also just caught on)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I just caught on, too
    .___.___.__...__..___..__....__..__..
    |.__|.__|._\./__\|._.\/..\../..|/..\.
    |._||._||.v.|.\/.|.v././\.|.`7.|.//.|
    |_|.|___|__/.\__/|_|_\_||_|..|_|\__/.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Classic
    Sayak Banerjee
    KDE Sysadmin | KDE e.V.
    Need help? Contact us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Karasuman
    Patience,patience,patience and a little bit willingness to learn is all that needed to enjoy Ubuntu or any OS. I am not here to persuade you to stay with Ubuntu and I am definitely not advocating that Ubuntu is better than any other OS but I would say it is different from other OS and you have to be patient with it to learn to handle.
    For example,could you learn to drive in a month? No you have to learn and pass a test before you get your licence. But learning Ubuntu is very simple and with the amount of help from this Forum anyone can make it. I have very little knowledge about these computers but I managed to install Ubuntu and enjoy using it(I have to tell you I do not know how to do many things in Ubuntu)but I am not worried because if I run in to trouble I can always get help here.
    And most importantly,Ubuntu is not Windows(ie:it doesn't work the way windows does).
    It is entirely up to you whether you want to stay or leave for another OS,make sure you are happy with whatever system you are comfortable with. By the way,Windows is not an American word and it is English word(little country called England in Europe).

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast