Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: nvidia 9500m gs question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

@wolfwood2x

no problem. that is why i joined this forum, to get and give help. I just tryed editing the diff file like I had said and it was successful for me as well. I now have a 1680x1050 resolution, nvidia drivers 180.44 installed, and full 3D support!

@anyone

I'm going to attach the diff file i used to patch ubuntu 9.04 kernel version 2.6.28-11-generic if anyone wants it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Cool Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

Quote Originally Posted by YesImaLinuxWanabee View Post
    @wolfwood2x

no problem. that is why i joined this forum, to get and give help. I just tryed editing the diff file like I had said and it was successful for me as well. I now have a 1680x1050 resolution, nvidia drivers 180.44 installed, and full 3D support!

@anyone

I'm going to attach the diff file i used to patch ubuntu 9.04 kernel version 2.6.28-11-generic if anyone wants it.
    I have the same problem only difference is that my laptop has Nvidia 7600 GO card which has 128MB memory and I tried modify the diff file so that it creates a space of 128MB but it didn't work, can someone post a diff file for this card ?
    Thanks!

Beans

well... what can i say - oh, yes i know: thank you! i've been following this post for almost a month now, but until tonight i didn't have success in patching my kernel (i've tried 3-4 times, but i was getting different errors, which thankfully you lads have covered throughout your posts). i'm using ubuntu 9.04. next step: enable compiz and then sort out this nasty cpu whine. once again, thank you all.

Beans

WELL DONE thank you so much man ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This guide actually worked! Thanks! I was stuck with getting the graphics card to work.. I didn't want to run Ubuntu on 640x480! Now I got compisiting running. Thanks again!

I wonder if I could do the same thing with Gentoo Linux....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 9a3eedi View Post
    I wonder if I could do the same thing with Gentoo Linux....
    You sure can!

You just need to patch the kernel and then build as normal, don't follow the Ubuntu kernel build line. That's what I did with Slackware, and it works fine (TwinView, etc.).

Hopefully, the changes to the kernel will be released soon, and this will be history!

Rinias

PS : Oh, and you obviously don't need fakeroot, etc. You just need your standard system (assuming you can build packages), you need to patch the kernel (either with a patch file or the way I described earlier in this thread), make and install and then do your nVidia build.
    Last edited by Rinias; June 29th, 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: PS
    Slacker at heart.

Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa...

Beans

Working through this process on Linux Mint, I found :

Code:
                                   if (!r->flags)
                                            continue;
                                    pr = pci_find_parent_resource(dev, r);
                                    if (!r->start || !pr ||
                                        request_resource(pr, r) < 0) {
                                            dev_warn(&dev->dev, "BAR %d: can't allocate resource\n",$
                                            /*
                                             * Something is wrong with the region.
                                             * Invalidate the resource to prevent
                                             * child resource allocations in this
                                             * range.
                                             */
                                            r->flags = 0;
                                    }
    in the 2.6.28-11-generic kernel.

Don't know if it has anything to do with the problem, but 2.6.31 is in development now, so hopefully TJ will be able to get it in soon (if it isn't already - I've searched some changelogs with no luck...)

Here's to wishful thinking !

Rinias
    Slacker at heart.

Di mi se mai fu fatta alcuna cosa...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am using a acer 9815 aspire laptop.. and shall also try out this patch to see if it works with my 4GB of ram upgrade..

since hopefully it will just create a new kernel option in grub then should do not harm .

was wondering if anyone else had tried it that is not a 9500m gs card ? and got on k ?

I am using kubuntu 9.10 btw.. and really like it.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011