Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: nvidia 9500m gs question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

This problem still persist on Ubuntu 8.10 Beta. I'm currently building a 2.6.27 kernel with the instructions found a few posts back and the patch, hopefully it will work.

Has there been any talk about fixing this issue without the need for a kernel patch and recompilation?

Beans

Red face Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

Quote Originally Posted by add2700 View Post
    After oyu complete all the steps, you will have a bunch of .debs but you only need to run these:
    linux-image-rt
    linux-headers-rt
    linux-headers-lum-rt
    linux-ubuntu-modules-rt

They might look more like this:
    linux-image-2.6.24.19-rt
    Hello. Ive been doing the procedure to fix the problem. I got to the part to where i have to 'install' the debs. Unfortunately at this step i only found 2 debs: the linux-image-rt and the linux-headers-rt. Maybe im not sure where the compiler put them.

Im really really new to ubuntu, so im probably missing something. Should there be more debs?

Finally. It took me a while to find out how to install a deb. For newbies this is not something obvious. Maybe its worthwhile to mention that you install them with:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i <package.deb>
    EDIT: I got help from a friend and i think one of the steps was compiled wrong because after we tried it again, we found all the debs.

At first Ubuntu did load the driver for 9500m gs, but it would only allow 600x400 resolution. We had to use envy to fix it after some trial-error.

I still don't have 3D or OpenGL but at least i have 1600x800 resolution (against the 800x600 which i had at first).
    Last edited by Nekomancer; October 17th, 2008 at 04:20 PM.

Beans

Nekomancer: You need to install the nvidia drivers after you have installed the new kernel image (all these steps you just did) - If you're new to Ubuntu, you should just download/use EnvyNG.

Wolfwood: If you want to just use the vesa driver, do "sudo displayconfig-gtk, or sudo displaysettings-gtk (not sure which)" but you'll then be able to setup your monitor/vesa driver correctly...

Beans

Angry Re: nvidia 9500m gs question

Has anyone had any luck on getting this to work with the 8.10 final release? When I try to get the RT sources for 2.6.27-7 (the current version I have of the kernel) it says they are not available.

I had this working fine with 8.03 before upgrading and really need to get it working again. I would like to keep 8.10 as I do like several of the changes made and would hate to have to reinstall everything....

Beans

I have this same laptop duel booted with the newest Ubuntu release with total frustration. I have reinstalled Ubuntu numerous times tried the fixes I ended up rebuilding a kernal that had no drivers instead to no avail...I am new to linux but no where near new to computers I work in the IT field. I have had numerous Linux folks from my place of employment try to figure this out including a linux admin for our company we are all scratching our heads is there a simple total newb install way to make this video card work? I am trying to make the full switch over to linux but i am a gamer so taking 2 gig out of a system i purchased with 4 gig just doesnt make any logical sense to me.
    Thanks for your patience and any replies the last time i tried switching over to learn linux i couldnt get anywhere either which is dissappointing....
    Last edited by JaCkYL_CpX; November 5th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Beans

Found a post about this in another thread, http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=939580. Going to give the suggestions there a try and see if I am able to get it working. I will post here and let everyone know how it goes.

Beans
    Distro

I posted a brief overview of the process under Intrepid in this thread: http://ge.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=939580 as mentioned in the post above me. I'll write more clear instructions for getting your laptop running on Intrepid.

You will also find the modified patch file for the new 2.6.27 kernel, attached to this post.

These instructions are based on add2700's post, which are based on a post in nvnews.net =P

-----------------------------------------
    # A few notes before we start:
    - I have only tested this under 64-bit Ubuntu 8.10, but it presumably works under 32-bit Ubuntu as well.
    - After you have finish compiling and installing your kernel, Update Manager might want to overwrite it with its own version of it. Make sure not to do this!
    - You will have to do this process every time Ubuntu releases a kernel update(or until it the issue is fixed by the OEM...if ever). If you do not wish to go through the process again, make sure not to update your kernel(linux-image, or linux-header packages).

# Install necessary packages
    sudo apt-get install fakeroot
    sudo apt-get build-dep linux-image-2.6.27-*-generic

# Install Kernel Sources
    sudo apt-get source linux-image-2.6.27-*-generic

# * NOTE: Replace the * with the latest 2.6.27 revision number(9 as of right now).

#<!-- Download the 512 patch if your card has 512 RAM, or the 256 if your card has 256 RAM-->
    #<!-- RENAME the file from .txt to .diff as show below, and if your card has 256 RAM don't forget to alter the command accordingly-->
    # Apply NVRM patch
    sudo patch -p0 < NVRM_512M_fix.diff

# Build debs for linux-image & linux-headers
    cd linux-2.6.27/
    sudo CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=2 fakeroot debian/rules binary-debs flavours=generic

# Lastly, run the deb packages you created above in this order:
    linux-image-generic
    linux-headers-generic
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Hideaki; December 8th, 2008 at 04:45 AM.

Beans

I would like to thank everyone for the input on this card and the issues I do hope soon they get a fix out for this but after two weeks multiple installs the instructions listed above work now I am just afraid to download any updates of any sort ..... Also I would like to state this video card with acceleration does not talk well with two monitors extended desktop it flakes out and also locks up x windows on numerous occasions when switched between desktops but anyways yay for acceleration
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JaCkYL_CpX View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for the input on this card and the issues I do hope soon they get a fix out for this but after two weeks multiple installs the instructions listed above work now I am just afraid to download any updates of any sort ..... Also I would like to state this video card with acceleration does not talk well with two monitors extended desktop it flakes out and also locks up x windows on numerous occasions when switched between desktops but anyways yay for acceleration
    Thanks
    The dual-screen issue is kind of odd. I use my laptop with a projector all the time, and it works just fine. What utility are you using for handling multiple screens? Using the nvidia x server settings is probably your best bet, it works great.

Beans

Get lost JaCkYL_CpX. This is one of the only solutions for us with these nvidia cards and 3+ GB of RAM, and nobody cares if you're too lazy to recompile. I'm completely greatful for Fourmiii taking the time to share this information - Fourmiii, you're the man!

Does anyone know if this patch will be necessary for x64 releases, and if so; will it work, or just break the x64 architecture, since we're using i386 code in the patch?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast