Thread: Burning Iso in Braseio

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Burning Iso in Braseio

Just wanted to know when burning a Linux live cd in Braserio which I've done before, do I need to use the md5sum to check integrity of download or does Braserio do it for me automatically and the md5sums are for Windows users only? If I do need to run a check, how do I go about it. I tried typing md5sum with the file name in terminal and I got no such command exists or file and the file is sitting on desktop. Also, a little off topic here, I tried to post this in the Newbie section and was given the screen that I wasn't allowed to post there. Don't know why when I can post it here.Just in case somebody from admin reads this since I haven't figured out yet how to contact them about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Burning Iso in Braseio

Bresero will geneate an md5 sum but I don't know if it checks it the specified value automagically. Make sure the package "coreutils" is installed; in a terminal window:

sudo apt-get install coreutils

Coreutils is the metapackage that installs md5sums + some other useful stuff in one go.

When I see the error you mentioned from the forum it usually means I've forgotten to log in.
    regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just went to General straight from Newbie without having to log in. I went to User Cp to see if I had any new messages before all that and Web Forum shows me as logged in and registered. Oh well, guess I'm special. Thanks for the info rbmorse. Appreciate the metapackage info.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Went to synaptic and found coreutil already installed so I guess I'm OK. I just wasn't sure about how Ubuntu checks Live Iso's to make sure your download is OK.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Just wanted to know when burning a Linux live cd in Braserio which I've done before, do I need to use the md5sum to check integrity of download or does Braserio do it for me automatically and the md5sums are for Windows users only?
    Yes you need to do the md5sum separately.

I tried typing md5sum with the file name in terminal and I got no such command exists or file and the file is sitting on desktop
    You need to switch to your Desktop before running md5sum
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop
    md5sum <Name of file>
    The terminal is case sensitive.

Then compare the md5sum generated with md5sum.txt file ,also from the mirror you downloaded the iso from.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Tried cd ~/Desktop
    md5sum <Name of file> in various combinations and get invalid command for cd -/Desktop and running both commands with file name gives me No file etc.

This is my terminal (harry@harry-desktop:~$)

This is command ( md5sum netbsd-live-2007.iso)

Last edited by rokytnji; July 4th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Don't know what I'm doing wrong. Tried cd ~/Desktop
    md5sum <Name of file> in various combinations and get invalid command for cd -/Desktop and running both commands with file name gives me No file etc.

This is my terminal (harry@harry-desktop:~$)

This is command ( md5sum netbsd-live-2007.iso)
    cd ~/Desktop should change the prompt to harry@harry-desktop:~/Desktop$

Try
    Code:
    cd /home/harry/Desktop
    ls -l
    that is lowercase L not a 1 to see if you can see the file

OR

Code:
    md5sum /home/harry/Desktop/netbsd-live-2007.iso

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Worked liked Vaseline on a babys rash Thank you plucky. gonna store your instructions in a text file in case I forget later.