Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Your Favorite 2D Linux Game

The list is really starting to build up, though I've had to separate Secret Maryo since it now requires OpenGL. Personally, I believe in how Battle Tanks handled it: Takes advantage of OpenGL cards, but does fine without it. Since Maryo started off not needing OpenGL, IMO it should have either did what BTanks did or create a separate OpenGL version. You don't see Nintendo remaking Super Mario in 3D do you? Instead they created a new 3D game, Super Mario 64.

In any case, they all look like really great games, OpenGL or not. I am quite curious about Cultivation and Allacrost. They look really promising.

Beans
    Distro

I wonder if anyone else has something in mind? A great game they're currently playing, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Battle for Wesnoth is very addictive.
    10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD!"
    20 GOTO 10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Freeciv, the open-source cross-platform clone to Civilization, has to be the best 2d game for Linux! Really good graphics, great AI, and network support. Freeciv is in the Ubuntu repositories (under Add/Remove Programs), or is available here -> http://www.freeciv.org/
    Packin Debian Package Creator- Packin is a graphical Linux package creator wizard which compiles packages in the popular debian package format (.deb files). Packin is hosted on sourceforge.net and released under the GPL.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

kobo deluxe is quite a nice one along with wormux and hedgewars is your'e looking for 2d games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm really like Nibbles for some reason.

Well, I've been testing Finity Flight for MirthKit ... its technically the game I play the most right now. Also working on a new game that I play alot.

... I've spent a fair amount of time on Iagno (or however its spelled)

Beans
    Distro

Hey there! I've read that MirthKit (and FinityFlight for that matter) uses accelerated 2D, but I was wondering if it auto-detects this for PCs with no hardwared acceleration?

Currently, MirthKit only works with 3D accelerators. However, it is possible to have a libgl library that doesn't interface with a graphics driver, and instead computes in software. MK uses a very small subset of OpenGL, so I bet there is something out there that would make it work for you...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irrdev View Post
    Freeciv, the open-source cross-platform clone to Civilization, has to be the best 2d game for Linux! Really good graphics, great AI, and network support. Freeciv is in the Ubuntu repositories (under Add/Remove Programs), or is available here -> http://www.freeciv.org/
    I totally agree with you that this is the best linux 2D game, and in my opinion best game of all existing games for linux so far.
    I recommend it to everybody, I just installed it few days ago and I got addicted to it already.
    If anybody want to play online with me, feel free to contact me through IM, mail or PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast