Thread: Hangs when playing .avi

Beans

Hangs when playing .avi

This is my frist post on this forum.

I am using Thinkpad T60, Intel Chipset 945. I installed VLC and have other video players such as Kaffeine and Mplayer. When I play any of the video files like .avi, Kubuntu hangs and the only thing that is moving is the mouse. The keyboard hangs as well.

Please help me with this issue. Will Appreciate it very much.

Beans

Re: Hangs when playing .avi

I got same problem with you when i played videos.I think it is compiz's problem,because as long as I shut down the compiz effects,all think is ok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ok man, i have herd many problems with vlc. And i have had problems with in the past on windows and ubuntu. My best guess would be to get automatix and get codecs for the movie player that comes with ubuntu and download some other movie players. IF you have windows wine GOM player works with it and i used that when i had windows with no problems and it has a much niver appearece then VLC. GOM player webpage can be found on google, and you are able to download it directly from there or www.download.com GOM is a windows app, but works with wine well.

Beans

Actually not only VLC. The same thing happens to Mplayer and Kaffeine. Turning off the Compiz actually solves the problem. But currently my compiz is on and with extra effects, it is still working fine. I'm wondering whether there could be any other solutions?

Thanks!