Thread: [SOLVED] Connecting to DSL ISP after connecting to wireless router

Beans

Arrow [SOLVED] Connecting to DSL ISP after connecting to wireless router

Hi, after a long three day search and no progress I decided to post...so bear with me please:

I have installed Ubuntu HH and I am using a Netgear wg111v2. usb adapter to connect to my Comtrend ADSL router.After installing the driver for the wg111v2 I still had no luck, after reading a lot of posts with related problems I got the solution which was to install Wicd manager. Ta dah! Now I have my computer connected to the netgear usb adpater which has detected my router and connected.SUCCESS...this is where the problem begins, now I have a DSL provider which I need to connect to AFTER I connect to the router (can't change anything in this router-its unsecure (diff. problem))

I want to connect to the internet using the given username and password now, everything else is great: USB adapter works and gives me connection to the router.

In a lot of diff. posts I have read, people with the same problem tend to get answers which don't relate to the problem because the people dont understand the situation completely that we need to connect to the wireless router FIRST and THEN connect to the internet using the DSL providers given username and password. In Windows, this is done using by setting up wireless (PUBLIC NETWORK) and then using "dial-up" to connect to the PRIVATE NETWORK (i.e, the dsl provider)

If anyone can help solve this problem, I appreciate the effort and sorry for the long explaination.

Beans

Re: Connecting to DSL ISP after connecting to wireless router

Sorry, I couldnt find the edit button...Today I realized that what Im trying to do is connect to using PPPOE after connecting to the wireless router..if that helps clarify anything?

-Edit: I just found the edit button..lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletSpider View Post
    what Im trying to do is connect to using PPPOE after connecting to the wireless router..if that helps clarify anything?
    Clear as mud... but try
    Code:
    sudo pppoeconf
    And the "edit" button took me a while too when I started out...
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

OMG..ur a genius...I realized that I had already setup pppoeconf to my dsl provider and...just needed to run it...thannnnk youuuu for that..lol

One last question if you dont mind---> will I ALWAYS have to run "sudo pon dsl-provider" in order to start it...or is there any way I can make this an automatic startup task for the OS??
    Last edited by ScarletSpider; July 4th, 2008 at 06:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

OMG..ur a genius...I realized that I had already setup pppoeconf to my dsl provider and...just needed to run it...thannnnk youuuu for that..lol
    Captain Obvious: At your service. Now I'm off to warn an old lady that crossing the road can be dangerous.

[EDIT:] Just saw your edit. Guess we're both addicted to the edit button now.

You can include the line
    Code:
    pon dsl-provider
    (Note, no "sudo") in your "/etc/rc.local" file; Don't disturb the last line in the file ("exit 0").

Or you can add it to startup with System-Preferences-Sessions-Add, then just fill in the blanks, only in this case, use gksudo instead of sudo. (Actually, this is not a good solution. The first one is better).
    Last edited by prshah; July 4th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Cheers,PRShah

Beans

Thanks again for all the help, appreciate it

(EDITLOL, this button IS very addicting cap. obv
    Last edited by ScarletSpider; July 4th, 2008 at 07:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again for all the help, appreciate it

(EDITLOL, this button IS very addicting cap. obv
    OK! Please mark the thread solved if your problem is cleared; click on "Thread Tools" _near_ the top right hand side of the page, then select "Mark Thread as Solved".
    Cheers,PRShah