Thread: Creative Zen Vision W or Ipod Classic? Decisions decisions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Creative Zen Vision W or Ipod Classic? Decisions decisions.

I am about to buy a new PMP-mp3 player and I have brought the choice down to the Creative Zen Vision W or the iPod Classic (I know Apple is the enemy but I live in Rural Australia and don't have a lot of choice with what the stores will stock). My question is does the Creative Zen Vision W work with Linux and if yes what programs do I use with it? and what's the best Linux program to work with an iPod Classic?

Basic specs are: Creative 60GB (smaller capacity so less appealing in that regard) but has voice recorder ability (this is great as I would also use it for uni lectures and my linguistics work so the voice recorder is an attraction); iPod 160GB (size is brilliant but the lack of recording function lessens its appeal as I would need to purchase a digital recorder as well for uni and linguistics). The price for both is AU$449, yeah I know everyone can get it cheaper for me but these are in my town and I can have one tomorrow not have to wait a week and buy sight unseen.

All help on the programming side of things is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by k3lt01; July 4th, 2008 at 02:09 AM.
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Creative Zen Vision W or Ipod Classic? Decisions decisions.

Why not check out the Meizu M6SL?

It can play all types of music files, especially the open source ones, like ogg vorbis, FLAC and APE.

Of course it can also play AVI files and (cough) MP3.

Very small and a great LCD screen.

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Creative Zen Vision W or Ipod Classic? Decisions decisions.

In my opinion, anything but the Sansas. Normally I trust SanDisk with my life, but their MP3 players have a huge failure rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by k3lt01 View Post
    I am about to buy a new PMP-mp3 player and I have brought the choice down to the Creative Zen Vision W or the iPod Classic (I know Apple is the enemy but I live in Rural Australia and don't have a lot of choice with what the stores will stock). My question is does the Creative Zen Vision W work with Linux and if yes what programs do I use with it? and what's the best Linux program to work with an iPod Classic?

Basic specs are: Creative 60GB (smaller capacity so less appealing in that regard) but has voice recorder ability (this is great as I would also use it for uni lectures and my linguistics work so the voice recorder is an attraction); iPod 160GB (size is brilliant but the lack of recording function lessens its appeal as I would need to purchase a digital recorder as well for uni and linguistics). The price for both is AU$449, yeah I know everyone can get it cheaper for me but these are in my town and I can have one tomorrow not have to wait a week and buy sight unseen.

All help on the programming side of things is greatly appreciated.
    I have a Creative Zen Vision W 60GB, and I like it a lot. Of course, it work best in Windows, but with Ubuntu it's still ok (functional with limitations).

I use Rhythmbox to transfer my MP3; no problem here. But when transfer, it's copying, not syncing. So, if you are looking for incremental changes, it's not so friendly.

For transfer of video, I use gnomad2. The GUI is clunky, but it works.

What I like about Zen Vision W is almost flawless xvid playback, and the bright wide screen.

I have not used an iPod, so I can't comment there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Astalavista, thanks mate that is the info I am looking for as long as I can use the Creative with Linux I am happy with that choice. Thanks also for telling that you haven't used the iPod and not bagged it either. To many people bag things they haven't used so its refreshing to get someone who sticks to what they know.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet_1953 View Post
    Why not check out the Meizu M6SL?
    Did you read my post? I thought I explained rather clearly why I have made the choices I have. Anyway, to you and Dark_stang thanks for your posts
    Ubuntu User 23142 | Wiki | Laptop | HowTo:Create a background slideshow and Screensaver | Reconditioning pre-loved PCs and installing Ubuntu to give away to good homes.