Thread: [SOLVED] Problems reading CD/DVD data disks made in Vista

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Problems reading CD/DVD data disks made in Vista

I am having some problems with my data disks. I am a complete newcomer to Ubuntu, actually Linux in general, but am proficient with a computer. I made copies of all my essentials (music, videos, data, pictures, etc.). However, all disks will not mount in Linux. Is there any work-around to get that data? Any help would be much appreciated. It isn't life-threatening I get this info, not even important enough to reinstall windows on a partition, but would be nice to have that stuff. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Problems reading CD/DVD data disks made in Vista

You probably used vista's default burning mode (live system) which uses udf 2.01 and or 2.50 neither of which is supported in ubuntu. There is a way to enable udf 2.50 (patched to support 2.01), but i don't think you want to get involved in that yet.
    If you have access to a Vista or Xp (for 2.01 unless 2.5 driver was installed) you could read, copy and re burn making sure if using Vista to choose 'mastering' mode. (or tranfer to a usb flash drive)
    If you are/become interested in the udf 'fix'
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=775775 post 10 (link and patch)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Problems reading CD/DVD data disks made in Vista

Thank you mc4man, I will try that out and see if I can do it, if not, I'll wait till I actually know what I am doing