Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to get back to XP

Beans

Trying to get back to XP

So a while back, I had switched to Ubuntu, because I liked the idea and the way it looked. Also a friend of mine had it, and had expressed how much he liked it. Now I too love the OS. But the problem is that there are multiple programs that I need that are only windows operable (Itunes, Video Games, and multiple office programs for school). I know that there's Wine, but that only works some of the time, and I need something that works all of the time.

Now while the best idea would be to have it dual booted with XP (that way I can get the best of both worlds).

If the dual boot isn't possible, then just getting back to XP would be the best. I don't have a live CD, but could recreate a disk from the internet. I might have an XP start up disk, but it seems to be only for a Dell PC, while I've got a Lenovo.

Beans

Re: Trying to get back to XP

A) Do you have XP still installed?
    - if so, what drives are each (Linux and XP) installed on?

Dual boot is definitely possible. There are numerous links out there. Here are a few I have found:

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p3.htm
    http://digitalgraphy.wordpress.com/2...ows-ntxpvista/
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/dual_boot.html
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902

Good luck!

Beans

if you have no issues reinstalling ubuntu then that is the best option. otherwise you would need to resize your parition then fix the mbr.

First install XP when you create the parition make sure you don't use the whole disk (most people do half and half). After that is finished install Ubuntu, now there should be an option to install on the rest of the free space or if you used up all the space there is an option to resize the partian. Then once you finish installing ubuntu it will automaticly configure grub, when you first boot up you will have the option to boot windows or linux.

good luck, let us know if you need anything else

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Edigido View Post
    I know that there's Wine, but that only works some of the time, and I need something that works all of the time.

Now while the best idea would be to have it dual booted with XP (that way I can get the best of both worlds).

If the dual boot isn't possible, then just getting back to XP would be the best. I don't have a live CD, but could recreate a disk from the internet. I might have an XP start up disk, but it seems to be only for a Dell PC, while I've got a Lenovo.
    Dual boot is possible. It would be best to install XP first then ubuntu second. Regarding Wine. It works all the time, just not on all programs.

I'm not sure I understand where you are about the Dell, IMB and XP disk. Can you install XP?
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

I started out in XP, and am now in Ubuntu. When I had installed Ubuntu the computer died half way through the night (my idiot self had fallen asleep and didn't plug it into the wall). I had woken up the next morning to find all of my data gone, and just went ahead with the Ubuntu Installation.

Beans

Okay, I just tried installing XP straight from the disk after I had restarted the computer itself, and it says that there is no Hard Drive/Disk detected. I'm pretty sure this is due to the partition taking up too much space (could be wrong). I have tried resizing the partition, but it's mounted and I'm not sure how to unmount the partition. Any ideas? (or suggestions to a secondary route?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Trying to get back to XP

I would try Open Office for your school work needs. Open office has everything you will need and works great with Ubuntu.

Beans

Okay, that's a good idea actually. Do those save in in the word formats as well (for programs/papers that may need to be sent to teachers).

Any ideas for Itunes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do you know about VirtualBox? you can run windows inside linux without having to Duel Boot...

I do it and its fantastic..

Beans

No I don't...it can work like that?! That would solve most if not all of my problems. Is it in Synaptic?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast