Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you name your computer(s)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: How do you name your computer(s)?

I generally name my computers based on what pops into my head first. Each install/re-install is has a different name. My current one is Omnious, but I have had others like Xebraethus (my XBL name, which was Lord Xebraethus), nathan (which is my real name), Xeb (again short for Xebraethus), my next may be Gaigolus (don't ask).

Beans

When I was in High School I named my spray-painted blue TRS-80 Model 100 blue ice after how it looked. I was going to call it SubZero but I found out that that was the name of a mortal combat character, and everyone commented as such.
    When the family got an iMac I didn't name it, but years later when I came back to help upgrade to the newest version of OS X, I names it Ultimo-4000. I wanted to name it after the Cartman robot on south park, but I forgot that it was called Awesome-O.
    I had a radar detector names Dmitri (after the character from The Brothers Karazamakov).
    I had a few used laptops that I messed about with in the very late 90s/ early 2000s which all exploded or collapsed in one way or another. I had wanted to install linux on them but one needed a LOT more technical expertise to do so back them. So I was stuck with Windows 95 or 3.1. One was a rubbish Compaq. Another was a butterfly keyboard thinkpad (I liked that one and was sad when it's battery exploded and flooded the board with battery acid). I can't remember what I named them, but the thinkpad had this wicked Sorayama desktop picture which looked really hot on the machine (especially when I opened it and the keyboard expanded).
    My G4 Powerbook I named Woz. I emailed Woz to tell him and he thanked me for the honour. My iPod shuffle is named Jobs (I didn't compromise by getting a shuffle, guys, it's the one that best fits my needs). My Ubuntu powered hp pavilion laptop is named archimedes (because it's hot to not capitalise proper nouns, and I was on an archimedes of syracuse kick at the time).

and my cars, in order of ownership-
    1989 Pontiac Grand Am - Gadgetmobile
    1988 Toyota Camry - El Toro (I wanted to mount steer horns on the grille)
    1986 VW Golf - Der Blaue Engel
    1999 Honda Accord - The Black Plague

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Cool. that is interesting..... Once I build a first full computer (it will be linux) I am not sure what I am going to name it.

Beans

I'd like to build my next machine. Of course that won't be for a few years from now.
    There are guides to how to do it on the interweb. Hopefully I won't screw up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

City and Ship names from The Matrix

Workgroup: Zion
    Dell (family comp): nebuchadnezzar
    My comp: vigilant
    Laptop: logos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

My computers form an imaginary Soviet army, so they are all Red[Something]. Present and past names include RedHQ, RedScout, RedMobile, and RedTank. I'm currently building a new box that will probably be named RedStriker. If I ever come around to buying one of those eeePC (or something similarly tiny), I want to name it RedSpetsnaz.
    Die writing: I write crazy things
    PhD Wander: I write crazy things about my travels
    RedScout: Lenovo 3000 C100, 1.5GHz Celeron M, 1.25GB RAM, 120GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

a current naming scheme my brother and I are using for fun, and because thinking of names became boring, is having kind of palindromic letters that also read the same upside down.

for example, adpe, qunb etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My brother's computer name is ecstasy... There, my user is... jhon @ ecstasy....

Today, my desktop is BigLab and my laptop is LittleLab... Boring, isn't it? One year ago, my desktop was Tenac, from Tenacious D... Okay, these are the worst names, hahahaha
    Last edited by thschiavo; July 4th, 2008 at 09:20 AM.
    Thiago Schiavo Mosqueiro

http://stoa.usp.br/thschiavo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Disko

Beans

Currently, I named it Skynet. I like the way it sounds

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast