Thread: [SOLVED] Games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thumbs down [SOLVED] Games

Can Windows games be played on Ubuntu?
    I know there are programs like wine that allow windows programs to be used but do games work with this as well? Also what version of ubuntu is the best? Xubuntu, ect.....

Beans

Re: Games

Normal windows games cannot be run directly from linux.

However, as you mention, other programs do make native windows-programs run, such as Wine, PlayonLinux and some other. These are mainly made for porting games to linux, more than making 'real' software work on linux.

Which version of Ubuntu is best... each version has it's uses and performs best in it's own enviroment.
    Ubuntu is the equivalent of a normal windows installation. Edubuntu is for educational use, Xubuntu is mostly for low-powered computers to run optimally.

I am still new to this entire thing too, so please don't make any of this definate .)
    Last edited by roffemuffe; July 3rd, 2008 at 03:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Some can. Some cannot. Search for the specific games you want to install or wonder are compatible. You also have https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Games
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Xubuntu: If you have a slow PC (I doubt you would need this)
    Kubuntu: If you like many features, and can live with a slightly cluttered UI
    Ubuntu: If you want a simpler UI that retains alot of functionality (more functionality than Windows anyway)

Keep in mind that Kubuntu or Xubuntu sometimes require small changes to the instructions how-tos give you.

Wine works on all those, and can play the more popular non-cutting edge games very well - and is constantly improving.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I don't know a whole lot about what games run and those that don't, but I know that DirectX games don't work on Linux distros.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile Re: [SOLVED] Games

Welcome to gnulinux!

Wine which stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" is a compatibility environment that allows some games and other windows programs to work in gnulinux. I'm am currently trying to get old games such as Starcraft and Warcraft to work and for me its been difficult.

There is a subscription service called cedega for getting windows games to work on gnulinux and its supposed to be very easy to use and work well.

There are some native linux games that are supposed to be great you can try
    open a terminal and type: sudo apt-get install nexuiz to try one shooter that people really like.

For desktop environments, KDE or the K Desktop Environment (kubuntu) is the one that Linus Torvalds prefers, it is a great environment with a lot of customization that you may prefer later on, however because you are relatively new I'd recommend gnome which is the default environment (ubuntu)

I think you'd be better off with ubuntu rather than kubuntu right now because when you look for help online to learn and figure things out almost all of the instructions you'll find are going to be helping you assuming that you're using gnome. It'll be easier for you.

Xubuntu and fluxbuntu are environments that are extremely fast and low resource that run very quickly, they are somewhat more difficult to use and are not as 'cool' looking as the others, I would not recommend them for your needs, but keep them in mind if you have an old 'junk' computer lying around.

Good luck, and welcome to the gnulinux community!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED] Games

Quote Originally Posted by blooteki View Post
    Can Windows games be played on Ubuntu?
    I know there are programs like wine that allow windows programs to be used but do games work with this as well? Also what version of ubuntu is the best? Xubuntu, ect.....
    Get Ubuntu (whatever variant you like; it really makes no difference) and install:
    • neverball
    • foobillard
    • sauerbraten
    • alienarena
    • open-arena
    • scorched3d

If you really can't leave your favourite Windows games behind, then see if they will install with Wine. If they won't, then play them on a dual-boot machine.
    Last edited by ChameleonDave; July 4th, 2008 at 03:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: [SOLVED] Games

If you want to know the compatibility of games in WINE. Check out WINE appdb:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

The rating is as follows:
    Platinum - You would experience the game almost as well as in Windows
    Gold - Almost as good as game experience in Windows with a few glitches
    Silver - Games will run but with a few problems which can hinder gameplay
    Bronze - Games will install but may/may not run
    Garbage - Games neither install neither run

You could always google Gamaname + WINE for howto and check compatibility.

In my experience EA games give problems in WINE and games like HL2, H&D run very well in WINE.
    Also there are few Linux native games like Doom 3, Quake 4, Unreal Tournament, etc., etc.
    Also there are free native games like OpenArena, Nexuiz which are worth a try.