Thread: Computer running slowly, think it's graphics

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Computer running slowly, think it's graphics

My old computer recently died due to hardware. While I'm repairing, I installed Ubuntu Hardy on my old computer. Bad idea. While I was able to run Ubuntu Edgy Eft with very little problem (at least when it ran fglrx, more on that later) I am definitely not able to run Hardy. Too choppy. I moved back to Ubuntu Gutsy, and things picked up a little. So, I moved down to Xubuntu Gutsy and for the most part I'm able to do things with my computer, at least.

Video is very choppy, especially flash. The video card itself does not run very well. Scrolling in firefox is even choppy.

Relevant computer specs are:

Celeron 2.6ghz
    512mb RAM
    Radeon 9250 PCI card w/ 128mb RAM (this is why I cannot run the current fglrx, only legacy support is through the open source driver)
    160gb HD

I don't know what else is important. In my head, I'm imagining the video card driver because it manifests itself as a video problem and the main difference between Gutsy and Edgy as far as this computer's config is concerned is the closed-source versus the open-source driver.

Is there any way I can speed this up? When I say choppy video, I mean less than 10fps, more like 5.

This computer is not THAT old and Xubuntu Gutsy should run well on it, at least in theory. Anyone have any ideas as to how to fix it? What if I just scaled all the way back to Dapper Drake? Would the old fglrx work on it if it were updated, or is the kernel that updates with Dapper too new to run it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Computer running slowly, think it's graphics

hardy should run pretty well on that, i'd think..
    have you tried xubuntu hardy? since if its the video card, moving away from gnome / kde should help a lot...

youre sure desktop effects was disable I presume?
    "Please choose a different password, the one you have chosen is in use by UID 1432"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Computer running slowly, think it's graphics

Yeah, desktop effects were definitely disabled. When they were enabled at first nothing was smooth. My cursor was jumping around and I was pretty unable to do anything.

I dunno what to do. I miss the old fglrx driver.