Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Running WoW (and probably other games)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: Running WoW (and probably other games)

just mount the ntfs drive... not even necessary to isntall ntfs-3g (although it's installed by default I think now) and then just copy it over.

Beans

Ok, I have NTFS-3G, and I can see all of my Vista partition, including my World of Warcraft folders. Where do I want to copy the files to? As in, where on my Ubuntu partition should I put the folder at?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

did you setup wine yet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyper_ch View Post
    did you setup wine yet?
    I have Wine installed...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

then copy the wow installation from your ntfs drive into ~/.wine/drive_c/...... somewhere and do all the registry settings that are described in the Ubuntu wiki.

Beans

Ok, I'm copying it over right now, and I found those registry changes and I'll apply those once it's done copying.

I'll post later once I get to check it out to fill you in on how it's running.

BTW, thanks guys for all the help so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Lightbulb Re: Running WoW (and probably other games)

Quote Originally Posted by earle117 View Post
    I installed PlayOnLinux, is there any UI or does it just work in the background? As in, could I just try installing WoW right now?

I tried installing it before I got POL, and I was able to open the .exe but it wouldn't install, so I don't think that Wine alone is enough to do it...

I'm leaving for a few days, back Monday, so I'll try out the other posts then, thanks for all the speedy replies ^_^
    Hi Earle,

I had a similar problem only I really couldn't part with Half Life 2 and, now, Bioshock.

While these windows emulators are getting better, I found it much much easier and cheaper to simply patch in a second hard drive and to install XP on it for occasional gameplay - something XP does marvelously well!

meTa

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by metasolaris View Post
    Hi Earle,

I had a similar problem only I really couldn't part with Half Life 2 and, now, Bioshock.

While these windows emulators are getting better, I found it much much easier and cheaper to simply patch in a second hard drive and to install XP on it for occasional gameplay - something XP does marvelously well!

meTa
    The only problem with that is that I don't occasionally play World of Warcraft, I play it daily, sometimes for a few hours or more. I use it as a way to keep in touch with friends, and I manage a guild, so I can't really be absent for long periods of time.

So, if I did that, I would end up only using my Windows and never using Ubuntu. And then I would be sadface.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123