Thread: How to run autorun.inf cds and files?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question How to run autorun.inf cds and files?

I know this is a noob question but I cant find any packages or ways to run this, and I really NEED to run it, so any help is appreciated.

This is the error I get when trying to run the file from cd:

Couldn't display "/media/cdrom0/autorun.inf".
    There is no application installed for this file type

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: How to run autorun.inf cds and files?

I'm pretty sure you can't run a cd autorun program in linux.
    The autorun programs on cd's are usually designed to run on windows, and usually just to start an installer program (which is also designed for windows).

Exactly what is on the cd?

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe there are exceptions to the "Designed for Windows" generalizations. Some CDs I have with autorun built in (mostly from magazines) are set to open up an HTML page which should be viewable with Firefox under Linux....
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Maybe there are exceptions to the "Designed for Windows" generalizations. Some CDs I have with autorun built in (mostly from magazines) are set to open up an HTML page which should be viewable with Firefox under Linux....
    Yes, but the autostart program which loads that html page is still most likely a windows program.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just open the autorun.inf with a text editor (yes, it's a text file), check what program or file it's configured to open, and if it's some file that can actually be viewed in Linux then open it manually.

Beans
    Distro

Yes there is an .exe file but I have already tried opening it with wine and nothing happens (the file is shellexe.exe if that means anything)

Like I said this is a cd with cie permission blocks all over, I cant run the autorun even in the texteditor because I dont have permission.
    Its very frustrating indeed

Is there a way to running the cd normally without using the autorun.inf or .exe files? or is there any software packages that can help me run .htm files on ubuntu?

Thanks for the replies so far ~

Beans
    Distro

.pdf files are on the cd, and because it was made by cie it wont give me permission to view them individually, it has to be done through their program which is initiated from the autorun. It also has .htm versions of the files but i cant view those either. They open up in firefox blank.

There was this tutorial in ubuntu wiki for autorun capability but it does not work for me so I was wondering if there was another way around~

I really need to access this cd for my upcoming exams and I dont want to have to reinstall Xp (if there is no solution though, i will have to resort to it).

Anyhelp whatsoever is appreciated~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by myromance123 View Post
    .pdf files are on the cd, and because it was made by cie it wont give me permission to view them individually, it has to be done through their program which is initiated from the autorun. It also has .htm versions of the files but i cant view those either. They open up in firefox blank.

There was this tutorial in ubuntu wiki for autorun capability but it does not work for me so I was wondering if there was another way around~

I really need to access this cd for my upcoming exams and I dont want to have to reinstall Xp (if there is no solution though, i will have to resort to it).

Anyhelp whatsoever is appreciated~
    Do you know which file is the actual program (probably a .exe file)?
    If you're lucky you can run it with wine.
    If you're not sure which file is the executable program file, open up the inf file in a text editor (gedit). It should say which file it would start in windows.
    Last edited by jocko; July 3rd, 2008 at 08:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed, please don't bump old threads.