Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Firefox 3 on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Firefox 3 on Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake)

Hi Bunny Boy
    that approach was tried and it failed... so read on further in the thread for the approach that seems to have worked...

Beans

I have firefox3libs4dapper.tar.bz2 overwritten on my server. It now contains
    a new dbus and a new alsa-lib against openvideo crashes.
    The startup script (as initially released V3.5 [might be changed in 3.5.1, e.g.]) is also included.
    For later firefox automagic hotfixes check the script for the line
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ff3compatlibs/lib
    if it is still there or add it again.
    Performance of new FF 3.5 is great. Don't miss this update!
    I'm happy that I can still use KUbuntu / Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake with Firefox 3.5 !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Schugy, thanks for the update.

Beans

Thunderbird 3.0 just works the same way with
    Code:
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ff3compatlibs/lib
    in Kubuntu or Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06
    Enjoy!

Beans

I have Firefox 3.6 and Thunderbird 3.0.1 running. Don´t forget to change the Java6 plugin (use latest version) to the new plugin interface libnpjp2.so

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by drepa View Post
    Your debs worked great. I installed them in this order glib, pixman, cairo, pango, atk, gtk+, as suggested by http://techieblurbs.blogspot.com/200...untu-edgy.html .

I also needed to install libxcomposite1.

Question - is there an easy way to get Flash Player 10 working now with this little FF3 hack?

Thanks for the debs!!
    Hi Drepa,
    I was able to install firefox3.6.4 on Dapper successfully. I used Schugy's deb installers and installed firefox3.6.4 on /usr/local/firefox directory.
    I encountered the below error as well
    error while loading shared libraries: libXcomposite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But I realized my instance of Dapper had libxcomposite1 library already installed. So I adapted Schugy's suggestion and edited line 51 to the following
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/ff3compatlibs/lib:/usr/local/lib

The above solved my problem.

My thanks to Nanotube for the suggestions and Schugy for the deb installers for all the libs and the firefox startup correction.

Regards,
    Priya

Beans

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    This thread is created to be the working hub of getting ff3 to run on Ubuntu 6.06 (dapper).

The problem is that ff3 requires gtk 2.10 or later, but Dapper only has gtk 2.8.

So far we've tried using a pre-compiled gtk2.10 library (from feisty repos) and pointing ff3 to it, but it doesn't work. (see discussion thread here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=832407

The next thing to do is to try compiling gtk2.10 from source on dapper, to see if that gets the desired result. (instructions here: http://www.captain.at/howto-run-fire...ebian-etch.php)

Anyone with input on getting this working (or anyone with a dapper box to try this on and report results) is welcome to post to this thread.

Not to be overly ambitious, but your overthinking this. Just install 3.6 and up alongside 1.5, although, there is a fair bit of terminal use... (e.g. mkdir ~/.mozilla/plugins, lots of 'mv's, etc, also, change the repositories, if you havent already) only problem is i dont know how i got it working, and it was NOT out of the box, it took some doing, 3 years or so (without vigour)

Beans

Locked. Necromancing and Dapper no longer gets any updates.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234