Thread: Can I clone when replacing laptop hard drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Can I clone when replacing laptop hard drive?

I am replacing the 30gb ide hard drive in my laptop with a 250gb ide drive. Is there any way to clone the dual boot drive without loosing anything or having to reinstall everything? I am running 8.04 and XP SP3 on a Compaq Presario 1700T.
    Pentium 955EE~ASUS P5WD2-E Premium~ATI X1800XL~Soundblaster X-Fi~4GB Patriat Extreme DDR2 PC2-6400~Plextor 755SA~WD Raptor 74GB SATA(64 bit UE1.8 )~WD Caviar 320GB SATA2(32 bit UE1.7)~Maxtor 30GB PATA(XP)~Maxtor 40GB PATA(64 bit XP)~630W PS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can I clone when replacing laptop hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeescott View Post
    I am replacing the 30gb ide hard drive in my laptop with a 250gb ide drive. Is there any way to clone the dual boot drive without loosing anything or having to reinstall everything? I am running 8.04 and XP SP3 on a Compaq Presario 1700T.
    You can use partimage to clone and restore your partitions, then use gparted to resize the partitions to use up the leftover space. You don't need to save/restore your swap partition, unless it's in an extended partition.

Note: mucking around with partitions, partimage and/or gparted is risky be sure to have a backup.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I want to make an exact copy of what is on the drive now, then create a new partition with the remaining 220GBs for media files. Will partimage copy the installation and settings of Ubuntu and XP without affection their performance (zero loss of data and files)?
    Pentium 955EE~ASUS P5WD2-E Premium~ATI X1800XL~Soundblaster X-Fi~4GB Patriat Extreme DDR2 PC2-6400~Plextor 755SA~WD Raptor 74GB SATA(64 bit UE1.8 )~WD Caviar 320GB SATA2(32 bit UE1.7)~Maxtor 30GB PATA(XP)~Maxtor 40GB PATA(64 bit XP)~630W PS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mikeescott View Post
    I want to make an exact copy of what is on the drive now, then create a new partition with the remaining 220GBs for media files. Will partimage copy the installation and settings of Ubuntu and XP without affection their performance (zero loss of data and files)?
    partimage will clone the entire _partition_ including the files and data. It will not affect performance and will not affect data/files in anyway.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."