Thread: Reformatting the laptop and using only Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Reformatting the laptop and using only Ubuntu

I have two operating systems on this laptop (Windows Vista and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron). The Windows part of the laptop has spyware and viruses that I've given up on trying to get rid of. I always use the Ubuntu part of my laptop now, but I set the installation to use only 8GB of space for the installation, and I guess that's acting as a "cap" maybe?

Well I just want to erase everythin on this laptop and install Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron as the laptop's operating system. Is there any way to go about doing this? The only CD I have is the Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron RAR file that I downloaded off of their site, which I have burned to a CD. Will this help me in doing what I would like to do?

Thanks, you're help is much appreciated.
    John's Playground | My Google Profile

Linux user since April 28th, 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Reformatting the laptop and using only Ubuntu

Don't quite understand what's the question, especially since you've installed Ubuntu before, but anyway, just follow the guide here
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall

PS: It sounds highly improbable that Cnonical would use rar to distribute Ubuntu.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; July 2nd, 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Be sure that the iso (the RAR file as you refer to it) is burned to the CD as an image, and follow the link. If for some reason you didn't burn it as an image, then I'd suggest checking the md5sum of the iso before burning it again, and if you need to burn again, burn at a slow speed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by avtolle View Post
    Be sure that the iso (the RAR file as you refer to it) is burned to the CD as an image, and follow the link. If for some reason you didn't burn it as an image, then I'd suggest checking the md5sum of the iso before burning it again, and if you need to burn again, burn at a slow speed.
    So do I want the file on the CD to be a single .iso file? Or multiple files on the disc?
    John's Playground | My Google Profile

Linux user since April 28th, 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyxxxcakes View Post
    So do I want the file on the CD to be a single .iso file? Or multiple files on the disc?
    Please refer to the ISO Burning Guide.