Thread: Mouse Double Clicking When Left Button Is Held

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Mouse Double Clicking When Left Button Is Held

Well in short the mouse isn't very responsive when I click on something once and hold down the left button to drag it around. But even worst, when I hold down the left button many times it'll even double click and I try to drag & drop something like say, either trying to move a window (which'll inadvertently enlarge the window), or a scroll bar in FF (and since I have my task bar docked on the right side of the screen, that means many times I'm accidently opening up apps that have their shortcuts placed there)

Just a bogus problem that I can't get past very easily and it's driving me crazy

I have a Logitech Marble Mouse ( 904360-0403 I guess is the model number)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mouse Double Clicking When Left Button Is Held

Please go to System > Preferences> Mousecheck whether the setting there asre Ok. You can make appropriate changes there. After the changes if things don't change Restart your machine and try again if it still doesn't work write the seeting that you have got and will see what we can do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by HotDogBunToo View Post

But even worst, when I hold down the left button many times it'll even double click and I try to drag & drop something
    Looks to me either like a classic mouse button problem (hardware problem), or a failing battery (if wireless mouse).

To check the former, swap buttons use System-Preferences-Mouse-Left Handed (or Right Handed if you're left handed), then use the secondary mouse button as the primary; now is clicking and dragging normal? In that case, the primary button is EOL (End Of Life); happens to all mice.

If you're handy with soldering, you can solder on a fresh switch, or else you can dump it for a new one.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans
    Distro

Well... here's a screenshot of my mouse settings:

And as for the end of mouse possibility, I won't rule that out @ prshah. I'll try your idea plus rebooting in XP (since it was last week that I made the ubuntu switch and had no issues with primary mouse in Win environment).
    Last edited by HotDogBunToo; July 2nd, 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

prshah, you hit it right on the head. Booted in XP and it was still haywire. I was able to fix by just switching buttons so I'll have to be lefthanded for the time being until I get a new mouse.

Also, now that I think about it, there are like.. 2 secondary mouse buttons (which can be used for scrolling) along the main buttons and would be easier to use those instead of forcing myself to be lefty. Anyone know if there's a way to configure buttons of a Logitech Trackball mouse in Ubuntu?

Thanks!