Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: su & and password problems in init.d-scripts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: su & and password problems in init.d-scripts

Rename your symlinks as K74irctor instead of S74irctor.
    Scripts that start with 'K' are sent the stop command,
    Scripts that start with 'S' are sent the start command.
    Last edited by unutbu; July 3rd, 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by unutbu View Post
    Rename your symlinks as K74irctor instead of S74irctor.
    Scritps that start with 'K' are sent the stop command,
    Scripts that start with 'S' are sent the start command.
    Thought so at frst too but I doubt it, it would make the commands like /etc/rc0.d/S60umountroot useless because they do nothing in their (start) branch of the switch/case tree.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...tml#s-sysvinit

When init changes runlevel first the targets of the links whose names start with a K are executed, each with the single argument stop, followed by the scripts prefixed with an S, each with the single argument start. (The links are those in the /etc/rcn.d directory corresponding to the new runlevel.) The K links are responsible for killing services and the S link for starting services upon entering the runlevel.

For example, if we are changing from runlevel 2 to runlevel 3, init will first execute all of the K prefixed scripts it finds in /etc/rc3.d, and then all of the S prefixed scripts in that directory. The links starting with K will cause the referred-to file to be executed with an argument of stop, and the S links with an argument of start.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: su & and password problems in init.d-scripts

Ahhh that was the problem. Of course the soft links should begin with a k (kill) and not a s. I just tested it and it works!

As some mentioned another variant is ti kill the whole screen process and maybe that is also OK. I imagined that sending a quit-message to the screen session, called irctor, would not be so harmful compared to just killing the whole screen process. I'm a right or wrong?

Anyway thanks for all the help!
    /Ballena aka Erikw
    Goox.se - Search The Web
    "There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But there's no one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft." - Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

One last question tho: Am I free to use what ever unused number for my softlink that I want? Maybe some numbers are not allowed to use or such.
    Goox.se - Search The Web
    "There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs. But there's no one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft." - Bill Gates

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe the numbers are executed in order. K00...K99. I guess they are just sorted alphabetically to be honest. There may be dependencies which influence your choice of which order things are started and stopped in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ballena and Gunman1982, what I said in post #11 is wrong (and Gunman1982 is correct in post #12), and it was only by dumb luck that my suggestion worked. According to
    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-pol...ml#s-sysvinit:

The two runlevels 0 (halt) and 6 (reboot) are slightly different. In these runlevels, the links with an S prefix are still called after those with a K prefix, but they too are called with the single argument stop.
    So Ballena, if your script works with K74, but does not work with S74, it must mean that S74 comes too late in the sequence. Something important (like S40umountfs) would prevent S74 from running because you can't run /bin/su if you there is no /bin.

So moving the script to K74 did not succeed because of the K, it worked because it was simply earlier in the shutdown sequence. Perhaps S19irctor would have worked too, for example.

This sheds some light on your last question, Ballena.

Am I free to use what ever unused number for my softlink that I want?
    I am not sure for what the range of numbers your script will work. Perhaps experimentation is the easiest way to tell.

I don't think you have to worry about numbers being "unused" however. If two scripts have the same number, I believe they are simply executed in alphabetical order.
    Last edited by unutbu; July 3rd, 2008 at 08:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

@unutbu: OK so I just had no luck at first. I will try to pick some lower numbers for my own /etc/init.d/ scripts. Thanks for the answer!
    Goox.se - Search The Web

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12