Thread: X server seems to be failing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

X server seems to be failing

After moving my PC (running Feisty Fawn) from one office to another, and after one successful boot (almost - the ethernet had issues, so I rebooted) I have yet to be able to get the computer up and running properly.

The symptom is this: upon reboot, the Ubuntu screen comes up, then the NVIDIA logo appears - then nothing. Then a flash to the standard brown background, then the NVIDIA logo again - then nothing. This cycle repeats 6 times, and then I get a complaint that things can't start up and I shouldn't do anything for 2 minutes on display :0.

So... does this sound familiar, and what in the world could have happened? The move was uneventful - no bumps to the case of the computer, no nothing. This is a 1 year old machine which has worked swimmingly since I bought it last summer.
    Todd Pedlar
    Dept. of Physics
    Luther College
    Decorah, IA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: X server seems to be failing

I guess I would check the /var/log/xorg files or even dmesg from CLI (you can open commandline by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1) (F1 thru F7) maybe there is something there to work with?
    Also you can edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Replace the "nvidia" driver with "nv" or "vesa" and see what happens.
    Alternate (psychocats.net) Ubuntu info resource

Helping isn't what the logical mind thinks it is because when you help others you're really helping yourself.