Thread: Kernel Build Error: Please help

Beans

Exclamation Kernel Build Error: Please help

Hi,
    On trying to compile the kernel on my hoary (5.04), i get the following error on doing either:
    'make clean' or 'make bzImage'

CHK include/linux/version.h
    SPLIT include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
    UPD include/linux/version.h
    CHK include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h
    /bin/sh: arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s: No such file or directory
    UPD include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h
    mv: cannot stat `include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h.tmp': No such file or directory
    make: *** [include/asm-i386/asm_offsets.h] Error 1

./include/asm-sparc/ptrace.h: * The asm_offsets.h is a generated file, so we cannot include it.
    ./include/asm-sparc/ptrace.h:/* #include <asm/asm_offsets.h> */

CHK include/linux/version.h
    make[1]: *** No rule to make target `init/main.o', needed by `init/built-in.o'. Stop.
    make: *** [init] Error 2

I tried creating empty files for 'asm_offsets.h' or 'asm-offsets.s', but to no avail.

PLease help if you can

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Kernel Build Error: Please help

Where did you get the kernel sources from? Also did you make sure if the source you downloaded is not corrupted in any way?
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

thanks.
    i downloaded the sources from teh Hoary Alternate install CD itself.

I just want to mke sure its no problem from my side.

I already had a lot of issues setting up 'menuconfig', with lots of packages/dependencies missing from the hoary CD and had to pick up stuff from here n there to get it to work.

I really wonder how the senior Ubuntu users (who used Hoary) performed kernel compilation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, I am not sure if you know this but Ubuntu Hoary is long gone(so to say), why aren't you using Ubuntu Hardy?

About the kernel, did you try compiling a vanilla of the kernel in Hoary? You can get the vanilla kernel from here.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Thanks PM

yes i know Hoary is long gone, but i want to use it as a test-box, maybe see how hard things really were and then switch to hardy n see t difference