Thread: How to modify an iso file without losing or corrupting files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question How to modify an iso file without losing or corrupting files.

I made an iso copy of my windows xp disc. Burn it and booted it so i know the original iso file is good. Then i am extracting 5 files, modifiying them and putting them back.
    I copy the files i need modify them. I am now trying to put the files back without corrupting the iso file.
    I have extracted the iso and made a new one a few different ways in windows and used archive manager in Hardy Heron to extract the iso, put the new files in and then use the terminal to create a new iso but everytime i burn the iso and load it it says files are missing.
    I am trying to make windows bootable from usb and the files i am modifying will do that.
    Also the files i modify are never the ones that go wrong. with windows it was cursors.inf is corrupt. with ubuntu its always %%sumthing*_ is missing.

anyone have an idea.

also i have tried unionfs but there is an error. the build log says its a kernal version mismatch.
    Last edited by KuroYoma; July 2nd, 2008 at 01:51 AM.
    ECS Black Series GF8200A NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI
    AMD Phenomx4 9650 2.3ghz Quad-Core
    4048MB DDR2 1066Mhz Ram
    Nvidia Geforce 9500GT 1gig dedicated Ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: How to modify an iso file without losing or corrupting files.

The new files going into folders in the iso?
    I find my biggest trouble when working between Windows and Linux is file and folder permissions. Check these on the files you're adding and the folders you're adding them to.
    (Master be/fe) ASUS P5KPL IPC, E5400, KVR800D2N6K2/2G, 8500GT, (2)PVR-150, A180, ATSC-115, U10.04, MythTV 0.23-fixes.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to modify an iso file without losing or corrupting files.

There is a program at getdeb.net called iso manager that might do what you need, unfortunately it is only available as 32 bit version.

Jim