Thread: VmWare Failed, VBox?

Beans

VmWare Failed, VBox?

I gave up on VmWare. After 3 weeks of trying to make it working I got to the dead end. In return to my questions on this forum on how to fix this problem I got a shrewd advice: just give it up!

I must have Windows running all the time since there are not sufficient number of equivalent softrware developed for windows. For example my question on equivalent to Babylon (Babylon.com) I did not get any reply.

Questions:

1. I went to synaptic and found that there are many, many files with name virtualbox in it. Do I need to install all of them or just the first one?

2. Can I open a virtual machine which I created in VmWare in virtualbox or I need to install Windows from scrap?

3. Any peace of advice and wisdom about virtualbox will be appreciated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: VmWare Failed, VBox?

1. You can either install VirtualBox from synaptic or install the one from Sun/Innotek.
    http://www.virtualbox.org/
    2.I have the source (Sun) version 1.6 of VirtualBox running on Ubuntu 7.10 and have had zero problems running vm's created with VMware Player (and easyvmx.com).
    3. If your Windows vm was created/converted from an actual hard drive install I don't know how it will work with VirtualBox as I haven't tried that yet.
    As far as which one is better that is a choice you will have to make. Each has its own pros and cons.
    Old As Dust.

Beans

Re: VmWare Failed, VBox?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmaleychik View Post
    I gave up on VmWare. After 3 weeks of trying to make it working I got to the dead end. In return to my questions on this forum on how to fix this problem I got a shrewd advice: just give it up!

I must have Windows running all the time since there are not sufficient number of equivalent softrware developed for windows. For example my question on equivalent to Babylon (Babylon.com) I did not get any reply.

Questions:

1. I went to synaptic and found that there are many, many files with name virtualbox in it. Do I need to install all of them or just the first one?

2. Can I open a virtual machine which I created in VmWare in virtualbox or I need to install Windows from scrap?

3. Any peace of advice and wisdom about virtualbox will be appreciated
    1. Use the one from virtualbox.org and download the Linux binary, as it supports USB. If you do not need that, use the one found in Applications>Add/Remove.

2. I would not know, but for the sake of making sure it works correctly I would install from scratch.

3. Virtualbox is GREAT software and is quite FAST! Also, do not forget to download the windows guest additions for sharing files and quick cursor integration, as well as Seamless Mode (Which is pretty cool!).
    "If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?" -Albert Einstein.