Thread: Modify GRUB query

Beans

Question Modify GRUB query

I am dual booting with XP and Edubuntu. Thanks to some support yesterday I was able to reinstate GRub. However it continues to contain a list of Kernel versions and their recovery modes. How can I edit this to show current kernel and Windows options?
    The growing flower needs water and heat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Modify GRUB query

It is a good idea to keep one or two kernels around in case of mishap. You can stop the extra entries appearing by editing the kernel entries in /boot/grub/menu.lst by putting a # in front of the entries. This does not get rid of the kernels, but stops the entries being shown in the grub menu. gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst and # all the entries you don't want to appear. Then save once done.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

You have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst file to manually remove those extra OLD kernel boot menu.

Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    To remove the old kernels permanently, launch Synaptics Package Manager and search for the "linux-image" string.

OR

Simply deleting the OLD kernel files using Synaptics would automatically reconfigure your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Beans

Thanks. I didn't want to lose the kernels just in case
    The growing flower needs water and heat

Beans

You can also just install

startupmanager
    from synaptic. It'll then show up in System > Administration > Startup Manager:

Screenshot-StartUp-Manager.png