I just got my brand-spanking new HP TX2500 CTO this morning, and after several hours of uninstalling the bloatwares, defragging, and partitioning, I finally got to install Kubuntu 8.04.

Immediately I stumbled into the problem of booting from a LiveCD. An hour later I found out why.

By pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1, I could see boot messages. It turns out that as soon as the kernel loads, it detects overtemp, and starts to shut down the machine. The message line reads "Critical temperature (xxC) reached: shutting down".

Funny thing is that this happens even the temp is reasonably low (even around 60).

After a few search on the forums I tried the kernel parameter "acpi=off", and lo and behold, it works !

So I installed Hardy and several other essential applications (Radeon drivers through EnvyNG, etc) and realized there is no sound. No wonder, because ACPI interrupts control the sound chip. Irony is that I wanted to watch some HD video on this machine (surprisingly, the playback is slow) !

However, this parameter is the only thing that's working so far. I also tried noapic, nolapic, noacip, irqpoll, irqfixup, acpi_irq_balance, noirqdebug, but no avail.

I need some serious help here, but my hunch is that I have to wait for BIOS updates from HP for the next several months.

I post this new thread, hoping this one parameter can help some others to get going on Linux with this tablet PC.

Isao