Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

pluckster,

I don't think you'd need any of kernel boot option if you're using a new kernel version above 2.6.26, as per AstronomyDomine's previous post. I'm not using any boot option other than the regular ones, like "ro quiet splash" after following the instruction to remove thermal module from kernel. Also, I thought AstronomyDomine has successfully ran Ibex which comes with kernel 2.6.26 without any boot option ?

Anyway, I think you have to run "sudo update-initramfs -u" from recovery boot-up. You have to somehow get to command line to run it. Then reboot, and see how it goes. I had the same problem when I was using Gutsy, and that was after a regular kernel update !

Isao

Beans
    Hidden!

Plukster, if you get it booted up again, enabling the restricted driver and restarting (or restarting the x server with ctrl-alt-backspace) will set it to the right resolution automagically

Beans

Hi all,

Ive just got myself a new HP TX2500 and I love this machine. Ive followed some of the instructions in this thread and my machine is running Ubuntu 8.04 very well after the initial thermal issues. You guys have been awesome at seeking and destroying the barriers to Ubuntu joy so a big thank you from me.

Just for the record Ubuntu Hardy is running well after:
    - Installing from Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit install with acpi=off in boot line
    - Removing the module thermal from my initramfs as per page 2, post #17 of this thread
    - NOT adding specific thermal options as per page 3, post #24
    - Blacklisting the thermal control, same thread, page 5, post #43
    - NOT requiring nolacpi in boot line
    - Sound working after specific post on page 4, post #46
    - Wireless Broadcom 4328 rev 03 showing blue light after all this but requiring the instructions in this link -- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

The following is not working (but i havent worked on it yet):
    - Wacom touchscreen

You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up. Until I work out to send official thanks, consider yourselves THANKED!
    Last edited by neutronstar21; July 20th, 2008 at 01:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by neutronstar21 View Post
    Hi all,

Ive just got myself a new HP TX2500 and I love this machine. Ive followed some of the instructions in this thread and my machine is running Ubuntu 8.04 very well after the initial thermal issues. You guys have been awesome at seeking and destroying the barriers to Ubuntu joy so a big thank you from me.

Just for the record Ubuntu Hardy is running well after:
    - Installing from Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit install with acpi=off in boot line
    - Removing the module thermal from my initramfs as per page 2, post #17 of this thread
    - NOT adding specific thermal options as per page 3, post #24
    - Blacklisting the thermal control, same thread, page 5, post #43
    - NOT requiring nolacpi in boot line
    - Sound working after specific post on page 4, post #46
    - Wireless Broadcom 4328 rev 03 showing blue light after all this but requiring the instructions in this link -- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...eisty_No-Fluff

The following is not working (but i havent worked on it yet):
    - Wacom touchscreen

You guys are doing a great job. Keep it up. Until I work out to send official thanks, consider yourselves THANKED!
    To add to the list, the b/g (a/b/g?--I don't know for sure; whatever the basic one is) card is bcm4310 rev2, and it works as of a patch currently in hardy-proposed.

Beans

Ibex wont even start for me. Can't get a desktop or install even with the boot params. It just hangs with a flashing cursor. I have to do a hard shutdown to restart.

Also having a problem with temp still. Even with acpi off its still catching the temp and shutting me down.

I tried "sudo update-initramfs -u" but I'm not sure what to think. I booted up and did some new things like try to connect through Ethernet. But when I tried to shut down it wouldn't go all the way. Trying a reboot now. And it fails. With all boot params it still fails.
    Last edited by pluckster; July 20th, 2008 at 07:41 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pluckster View Post
    Ibex wont even start for me. Can't get a desktop or install even with the boot params. It just hangs with a flashing cursor. I have to do a hard shutdown to restart.

Also having a problem with temp still. Even with acpi off its still catching the temp and shutting me down.

I tried "sudo update-initramfs -u" but I'm not sure what to think. I booted up and did some new things like try to connect through Ethernet. But when I tried to shut down it wouldn't go all the way. Trying a reboot now. And it fails. With all boot params it still fails.
    Wait for Alpha 3. It should be out in four days. Maybe.

Beans

sorry guys for "spamming" with an older model of the tx..i've got the tx2120us and also trying the 64bit version of Ibex now (k-/and ubuntu).

the only way i managed to start it (installing and then booting after install) is to move the hard reset shutdown button. BUT, not until it fully shuts down. Here is the strange thing, just a second before it actually should shut down, the boot up continues!! i am so surprised.

now i'm playing around with BIOS settings as well, the tx2000 series has another platform as the tx2500, but from what i can read, the problems are actually similar.

and yes, hopefully alpha 3 will be better in this regard. at least hoping we get the chance to install it without any big issues

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by wabre View Post
    sorry guys for "spamming" with an older model of the tx..i've got the tx2120us and also trying the 64bit version of Ibex now (k-/and ubuntu).

the only way i managed to start it (installing and then booting after install) is to move the hard reset shutdown button. BUT, not until it fully shuts down. Here is the strange thing, just a second before it actually should shut down, the boot up continues!! i am so surprised.

now i'm playing around with BIOS settings as well, the tx2000 series has another platform as the tx2500, but from what i can read, the problems are actually similar.

and yes, hopefully alpha 3 will be better in this regard. at least hoping we get the chance to install it without any big issues
    the tx2500 never stops booting alone, it shuts down half way through the boot or soon thereabouts, so if I'm reading correctly, they aren't similar problems. Plus, it was reported that that problem doesn't happen in Ibex. I know there's a really long tx2000 thread (either 18 or 26 pages--I forget) on here, so i'd check that out if you haven't already

It could also be something with Ibex. Have you tried Hardy, and does it do the same thing?
    Last edited by corwinspyre; July 20th, 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Okay I just have to make sure I'm doing this right becasue I'm not getting to anywhere close to what you guys are getting so here are the steps I'm taking
    1. Start Alternate Installer with acpi=off noapic nolapic
    2. Go through installation
    3. Install the kernel using aptitude just after it configures the APT sources becasue it cannot find one
    4. Finish installation
    5. Reboot and boot with acpi=off noapic nolapic
    6. Login
    7. Type in the steps given by Astronomy on page two
    8. blacklist thermal
    9. reboot
    10. leave in only noapic nolapic
    11. Hangs while running through boot sequence
    12. Hard shutdown and sigh

Am I missing something or should I just wait for alpha 3?

P.S. Does acpi=off disable ethernet connections too because mine will not work.

Beans

OK, I have wireless! My whole wireless driver situation was screwed up, so I decided to just reinstall ubuntu. Now pluckster, this is exactly what I did from initial startup. I put in the Ubuntu standard CD (not alternate), added boot options nolapic noapic acpi=off. I started up, ran through the installer. When finished, I started up with the same boot options. Ubuntu loaded, i logged in, and followed Astronomy's instructions exactly. I then added the line "blacklist thermal" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. I rebooted, this time without the boot options, and everything (including wired LAN) worked fine.

Then to get the bcm4322ag card working, I installed ndiswrapper (both packages in synaptic--common and utils). I also blacklisted b43 and ssb, although that was on my own and idk if it was necessary. I downloaded an HP driver for the broadcom card, here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...60549-1&mode=3

Next, I installed cabextract (sudo apt-get install cabextract). I ran "cabextract sp39243.exe". This gave me the driver files necessary for ndiswrapper. I then ran the following in the directory of the driver files:

Code:
    sudo ndiswrapper -i bcmwl5.inf
    sudo ndiswrapper -l
    At which point I received: bcmwl5 : driver installed
    device (14E4:432B) present

Then,
    Code:
    sudo depmod -a
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.orig
    echo -e 'auto lo\niface lo inet loopback\n' | sudo tee /etc/network/interfaces
    sudo ndiswrapper -m
    echo 'ndiswrapper' | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    echo 'ENABLED=0' | sudo tee -a /etc/default/wpasupplicant
    At this point, I could (finally) see wireless networks, and ifconfig showed wlan0. I input my WEP key and within seconds was associated to the AP. I then unplugged my ethernet cable, and was browsing! I hope this helps you guys having trouble with the bcm4322ag (a/b/g/n/BT).

Page 8 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast