Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Hi.
    I'm considering to buy a used HP tx2590 (AMD Turion™ X2), and install Ubuntu8.10(64bit). Can anyone tell me if it's just lots of trouble, or if it will be fairly easy to make things work?

Beans

mdb17 - Do your volume buttons really control Master Volume? Check it in System -> Preferences -> Sound. In the list in the bottom of the sound config window should be chosen 'Master'. This silly thing happened to me once when I was trying to get mic working...

Everybody - I just noticed that THIS post is talking about getting front mic working... Was that guy only one successful?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Great spot mememe!

Unless I'm confabulating, I think I saw one other post, where like I said, the guy went through a bunch more elaborate Alsa stuff. Maybe backporting Jaunty files?

Beans

Exclamation Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Favux - Ok, I got microphone working. I installed newest version of alsa-driver, alsa-firmware etc. (everything in the folder) from HERE, restarted Ubuntu, set all Audio preferences to 'OSS - Open Sound System' and then I played with alsamixer.
    I tested it in Sound Recorder and it works well with different alsamixer settings. Skype wants little bit more playing with settings in alsamixer and perfect is probably:
    Capture - 55
    Digital - 50
    Internal Mic - 100
    Volume is still pretty low but sound is clear and I hope this is step forward.

findelmundo - I have tx2510us which should have same specifications as yours and I think that it is pretty easy now to get things to work. I just reinstalled Ubuntu 8.10 few days ago and next day everything was working. Except microphone - it is working now, finally.

Everybody - I tried Jaunty alpha3 few days ago and I found out that it is too early to try. fglrx isn't ready for xserver 1.6 yet, other drivers (ati, radeonhd) are not perfect either because whole screen is flickering and I really suffered for exapmle during scroll in Firefox. I hope that ATI will release new fglrx soon.
    EDIT 10min later: ATI just released new fglrx...
    Last edited by mememe; January 29th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Beans

LOL. I just switched to radeonhd the other day because i wanted to try rotation (wanted to run OneNote through virtualbox... had problems with rotation not syncing with virtual Windows). Does the new fglrx support rotation? I'm going to try the mic thing right now and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

btw mememe, any advantages to using Jaunty yet?

Beans
    Distro

Hi mememe,

Alright! Kewl. So I wasn't confabulating.

Pretty much everything works. Are you guys as eager as I am to upgrade to Jaunty in a few months? And break a bunch of stuff? Lol.

Beans

tC_Crazy - I have no problem with rotation on present (previous) fglrx 8.12 using Favux's 360 script (thanks Favux) and allowed xrandr in xorg.conf.

I haven't tried the newest fglrx yet because I'm not able to download it from ati website.
    Is anyone experiencing the same problem?

Favux - Hi! Yeah, you weren't and it made me to try the newest release. It seems like last completed thing (before breaking everything in Jaunty again, off course lol).

Only noticable advantage of Jaunty seemed to me new ext4, I couldn't enjoy much more though because of graphic problems. I hope it is fixed with today's fglrx!

Beans
    Distro

Hi mememe,

Are you saying "fglrx" 8.12 (comes with Catalyst 8.12) supports rotation and Compiz? I couldn't find anything on the ATI site saying they had finally introduced rotation in 8.12. What's the new one called Catalyst 8.13 ("fglrx" 8.13)?

Beans

Hi Favux!

Rotation works for me since Catalyst 8.12 (fglrx 8.561) but I can either rotate screen or use Compiz (rotation with Compiz is messed up) - I don't use Compiz anymore so I forgot about it. Maybe it is problem of Compiz because when I switch Compiz off (without restarting xserver, just switching off) rotation works fine.
    I have still driver 'fglrx' in xorg.conf so I think that I am using it whole time...

I finally installed the new version of Catalyst and this (rotation x compix) is same as on the older one. The new one is Catalyst 9.1 (month of release) - fglrx 8.572.

Have you tried the microphone?
    Last edited by mememe; January 30th, 2009 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks mememe, that's the information I was looking for! I think it's the driver, I don't have any problem rotating with Compiz with the nVidia driver.

No, I haven't tried the microphone. I'm feeling too lazy tonight to do the updates you suggested. I'm watching the boob tube.

Page 52 of 64 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast