Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Thread: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

Installed KDE and it works...sort of...

Everything has been working just fine in my ubuntu installation, with the small exception of synaptic just refusing to work from the gui. I have to start it from the terminal, and then it works fine.

So I decided to install kubuntu, because I like the aesthetics better. Everything went without a hitch except for two problems:

1. the screen rotation .sh will rotate the screen, but then I get a double-taskbar at the top of the screen. This stays until I logout an log back in again.

2. Xournal, my favorite tablet program, won't work! It works fine in gnome, but when I run it under kde, it just dies. Here's the error message when I run it from the terminal:

Code:
    avery@arran:~$ xournal
    QApplication: Invalid Display* argument

(xournal:32758): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(xournal:32758): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated
    The program 'xournal' received an X Window System error.
    This probably reflects a bug in the program.
    The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
      (Details: serial 781 error_code 9 request_code 14 minor_code 0)
      (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
       that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
       To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
       option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
       backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
    Anybody have any suggestions?

Beans

tkb123: The problem with keyboard happened to me once when I switched on the laptop in tablet position. I was absolutely desperate - I tried to reboot many times but nothing happened. Then I switched on the laptop in that tablet position again and when Ubuntu asked me for login I switched it back to the "normal notebook" position and KEYBOARD STARTED WORKING!
    Then I read also on some windows forums that it is known problem with this laptop and that they don't recommend booting it in different than the normal position...
    I hope that it can be helpful for you...

Everyone: Has anyone got the microphone working to state when you can recognize a voice? I got mine working but quality is just terrible and it can't be used for anything.

Beans

Hi tC_Crazy

It seemed that I already had powernowd installed but it wasn't added in /etc/modules. It is now! I think I maybe can feel/hear a little difference now, but it's not much. I have also now added the small CPU Scaling gadget, but I don't think I'm managing it right. I feel now change when I change the mhz or the different modes.
    Do you still have Vista on your laptop? When I'm in Vista my laptop is almost completely silent - that would be nice in Ubuntu.

Hi Favux

I looked at the other tread where Trebaruna in post 3 is talking about changing a number indicating the cpufamily, but I don't have the loadcpufreq in /etc/init.d/ (or any other place). Do you have an idea what file it could be in Ibex?

Martin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi martinjochimsen,

When I use "cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep family" I get 15, so I'm in the included processors. So I really didn't look into it much further. But if you search Synaptic with "cpufreq" there's a daemon, utilities, and some libraries. Could that be what he's talking about?

Beans

When I'm running ubuntu, and it's in any mode except performance or manual 2.4ghz, I get it to run as quiet as vista. I believe powernowd is dependent on cpufreq. Also, make sure that it runs on startup. I always know it does because it freezes on boot 1/3 of be time... But that's another story.

Beans

Talking Re: Info and help for HP TX2500 Series

i did some research on these forums and found a lot information on running ubuntu on this model (it seems to be a very exotic one), unfortunately, i lost the information due to several system resets.

you may blame me for these questions: ;D
    -> ive read about the failing pressure detection. in gimp, using the 3rd axis of wacom, i dont get anything drawn. on desktop moving icons works. is there already a definitive solution for the problem?
    -> ive seen a screen rotation script somewhere around, which changes to the ATI driver on normal rotation, could you please leave me the link to it? would it work with a dual head configuration also?
    -> like some posts above: has anyone got the microfone working? it seems mono-connected and crackles when i poke it, but otherwise it doesnt work.

on!
    Last edited by antroid; December 28th, 2008 at 08:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi antroid,

Rotation and pressure and pressure in Gimp is discussed here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830

After the rotation HOW TO just read a little way into the thread to get Gimp pressure etc. I don't know about dual head rotation. You may be the first to try, so keep us posted.

I don't think anyone has the microphone working well, but I could be wrong.

Beans

thanks, thats what i looked for. it doesnt seem as it reacts to change to tablet mode... or does it?

when i have my dual head +rotation configuration done ill sure post it with explanations and graphics. its going to be a lot work for me.

Beans

You are right Favux.
    I installed cpufreq and I then got the loadcpufreq-file in /etc/init.d.
    My cpu-family is 17 so I also changed that in loadcpufreq. Only thing is that I had to uninstall powernowd to get cpufreq.
    I have also added powernow-k8 to /etc/modules ....but I'm not sure that will work, now that I have uninstalled powernowd?!?
    I'll just have to wait and see if it has any effect.

Martin

Beans

The only thing that has changed is that the cpu-widget shows 100% the whole time now and the fan is making a lot of noise. I then tried to remove cpufreq but Synaptic also wants to remove ubuntu-desktop. When I try to install powernowd it also wants to remove ubuntu-desktop. How can I remove cpufreq without removing ubuntu-desktop?

Martin

Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast